As a user, I want to consult an album page that contains:

• Artwork
  • Album name
  • Artist name
  • Tracklist
  • Label name | if exists: on click => to Label Profile page
  • Release year
  • total runtime of the album
  • Artwork credits | if exists: if user public profile - on click => to User Profile page
  • Other credits

2 Likes

My apologies if this is not the correct use of this thread (first time posting on the forum, not sure what the conventions are).

As a user, I think it would be nice to include the total runtime of the album in the album view (this could maybe also be the case for playlists?), either in minutes:seconds or just rounded to the nearest minute.

1 Like

Great idea ā€“ Iā€™ll add this to the description :100:

If possible, could ā€œRelease yearā€ become ā€œRelease Dateā€ (Month, Day, and Year)?

I kinda like Spotifyā€™s format in this case:

From a standpoint of pure personal preference, exact date seems a little excessive, at least to be used everywhere the release date is mentioned. The picture you attached indicates that Spotifyā€™s UI lists only the year nearer to the heading of the album, with more details at the bottom. That seems sensible to me, if weā€™re including exact date. Just, having only the year in the most accessible/front&center locations seems a lot cleaner to me.

Edit: Maybe there could be UI settings to deal with preferences like this? Donā€™t know how much overhead there would be in implementing that, but sensible defaults with customization options seems ideal for stuff like this.

1 Like

That makes sense. I personally enjoy seeing the date, or at least the month, to get a better reference of when the song came out and potentially some of the things happening at that time as well as how long itā€™s been since I havenā€™t listened to it upon itā€™s release, but I agree that I wouldnā€™t want to clutter up certain areas of the player with extra text, so all seems fair to me! Thanks for your additional thoughts @PiroFloydian!

1 Like

@Hakanto @boopboop @datafruits Have you seen https://sleevenote.com/ ? They recently DMd through twitter. Very rich artwork experience.

forum: https://discord.gg/qS8cfMGd

2 Likes

Thanks @richjensen! Yeah we are aiming to be the database for full album art. Our own player UI features interactive tracklist art (tapping tracks in artwork plays songs), check it out here.

I think the Resonate player is super clean and the large cover art is great. Agree that year of release is the main thing, maybe exact date comes up on a rollover or tap the year perhaps? Pro user style.

2 Likes

Hey @tom_vek! I missed that youā€™ve been around the forum a while. Sweet. Welcome!

2 Likes

Was just thinking about the extensive credits on album sleeves.

See e.g., Sleevenote player

Itā€™d be good to be able to handle scenarios like:

• Oboe on track 4 by human being
  • Tracks 1, 2, and 6 guitar by another human
  • Mastered by Guy at the Exchange
  • All tracks except 3 & 4 written by Lorem Ipsum

All of this could be included, by artists, when uploading, in the album description, but I feel this would be a bit cluttered.

Also, especially if more established artists/labels come on board, even still at the indie level, both recording and publishing copyrights etc. (which arenā€™t always the same on each track).

Currently, it looks like additional performers or producer credits would be at the album level. Iā€™m not saying this should all be at the front but, ideally, there would be something like a popup to access additional details.

Bandcamp has two text fields, when adding an album, for ā€˜about this albumā€™ and ā€˜album creditsā€™. Seems a fairly low overhead way of being able to add such details if wished. e.g., my description and credits on Dissolution Matrix in Afterthought of Skies | Murray Royston-Ward | The House Organ - Where we differ is needing a more visually streamlined streaming interface, hence a pop-up or something?

1 Like

e.g., and Iā€™ve not used proper styling or thought it through fully but you get the idea:

1 Like

Just finished listening to this beauty (Ben Bennett ā€“ Spoilage (2012, Vinyl) - Discogs)

Weird lists of instruments is pretty essential to me.

And I totally dig catalogue numbers.

1 Like

@tom_vek what would it take to integrate with sleevenote?

@tom_vek also, Iā€™m looking at the FAQs Sleevenote ā€“ Creator FAQs

Releases need to be available on Apple Music (in full or pre-release form).

Any plans to make uploading artwork to sleevenote available for music not on apple music?

1 Like

Hey! Yes, we use Apple Musicā€™s API in order to bring back album metadata - so that in our design tool you can search for a release to add artwork for (video here). Weā€™re keen to support more platforms but have limited development bandwidth at the moment (weā€™re a two-person operation and very much bootstrapped and juggling other work, so to answer your question @boopboop some form of investment or other way of being supported building new features, which weā€™d love to be doing, would speed things up :slight_smile: ).

However we have been discussing hard coding some proof-of-concepts and Iā€™m pretty sure we could get a Resonate release up and running to showcase the possibilities.

Obviously thereā€™s nothing stopping Resonate devs supporting adding multiple panels of artwork in the Resonate player but weā€™d certainly love to be a partner supplying it and helping to support stuff like interactive tracklist art - weā€™re hoping to be able to taking the idea of embedded links further, so all credits etc can link out, and you can see which other awesome albums Guy has mastered :wink:

Assuming the Resonate API lets us authenticate a user, then plays on Sleevenote would clock up stream-to-own plays too which is pretty cool.

@thehouseorgan is there a Resonate release on your label with particularly awesome artwork youā€™d like to discuss getting up on Sleevenote? (my email is tom@sleevenote.com for any finer details).

Cheers all,
Tom

3 Likes