Bandcamp has been bought (apparently?) by Epic Games

You’ll excuse my swearing but holly fucking hell.

4 Likes

I’m not sure I like this.

2 Likes

I didn’t come here just to say I told you so, but…

Such a huge disappointment for independent artists, who again will receive nothing from this exit but further involuntary monetisation of their creativity.

Someone commented that the blog post reads like an apology - and it really does. So I guess they must know that this really isn’t it.

For the record - tencent own 40% of epic, not all of it.

6 Likes

They also told their entire editorial Bandcamp Daily team to go dark so they definitely know how their community will respond to this anouncement.

3 Likes

Some discussion about how Resonate fits in the ecosystem, bringing this up as there seems to be some confusion as to what the website is?

1 Like

Yeah it’s the age old issue @melis_tailored talked about with our landing page(s) not being our streaming player right away.

Also I really hope we’ll manage to put our blockchain past behind us, I’m hopeful only niche people remember that aspect but it’s definitely bad PR for us that it comes up everytime someone asks who we are.

2 Likes

:crazy_face: maybe a large banner that says “YOU KNOW NOBODY IS PERFECT AND IT WAS COOL AT THE TIME. WE WERE YOUNG!!”

6 Likes

Blockchain confusions aside, I’m delighted we got the pricing page rewritten in time for this. Incredible win.

5 Likes

We’ve been getting 100 new followers on twitter like every few minutes since the news dropped :champagne: :clinking_glasses:

8 Likes

A good indication if any of my previous stance that our most direct “competition” was always more Bandcamp than Spotify.

Also… This means we’ll need a barebone download feature asap, we be good if we could get behind a format (mp3 320kbps would be my choice). For the crowd that might come from this, it might be a key feature.

5 Likes

Agreed. Wrote that up in a pitch for a “Version 2.0” of the feature. Check it out and see if it looks good to you. The simpler the better, as we can always expand and improve functionality as we go

2 Likes

More discussion on mastodon:

it would be good to have a presence there.

Like Greetings + Feedback mentioned, exposure is important.

2 Likes

oh hello! @maya@occult.institute is me.

it was the old blockchain blog posts that made me nervous but obviously not so nervous that i didn’t buy shares / recommend :slight_smile:

5 Likes

To be fair I just had that exact same talk / history debunk because of that same blogpost 5 minutes ago on another forum so you’re not alone.

@Hakanto @richjensen could we add a HUGE disclaimer talking about how and why we moved away from crypto on these blogposts? It would be even better than removing them since it would acknowledge our past and show that we’ve moved from it which I think shows both transparency and a capacity to evolve that’s all the more convincing in my opinion.

5 Likes

welcome @mayaland ! Not trying to dox you :wink: just wanted to point out to the forum we need to spend some time looking at mastodon and not just twitter

3 Likes

Hi I literally just signed up after erasing my work off of bandcamp

7 Likes

I think I have a quick fix for cleaning up these outdated pages. Hoping we’ll have a fresh start soon and this confusion can come to an end!

3 Likes

I hope we’ll make you proud of that decision, personally I take this kind of thing as a huge responsability on us to deliver on our promises and I hope we’ll do it sooner than later. Thanks for trusting the vision we’re trying to bring to life.

Welcome to both you and @mayaland! We definitely need you all!

3 Likes

Hi! New here (obviously).

Found Resonate through a post on Reddit, on

Where there are 1.7 million readers. May be worth to chip in with your experience of Resonate there to see if you/we can get some more traction.

5 Likes

I’m a noob here… just joined as a listener. Very disappointed to hear about Bandcamp, which spurred me on to join. I know very little about the mechanisms and detail of the site but I must admit when I saw the blog post about Blockchain it really rang alarm bells for me. Pleased after reading it that it seems to be a thing of the past for Resonate, is that right?

2 Likes