@community here we go!
@community Thanks all for coming
No worries @brndnkng, we can continue next week
This is version 1 of the competition. Each cycle of the competition lasts for a calendar month.
We can nominate any playlist, whether created by a human or machine. The playlist has to be two items or more.
We create a new topic each cycle, people nominate playlists by replying to the topic with an embed, or link of the playlist. This nomination period lasts for 2 weeks.
Nomination period ends, and poll is created in the OP of the competition topic with links all nominations in posts. Voting lasts for 2 weeks.
- Forum banner:
- Announcement bar below header, above existing cards. Different background color, with a sentence:
- Nominating period: “[November Featured Playlist Competition] Nominate a playlist to be featured on Resonate. Nominations close October 15.”
- Voting period: “[November Featured Playlist Competition] Vote on playlists to be featured. Voting closes October 31.”
- Note in player where playlist is featured
- Card-style embed
- User avatar
- Excerpt from post
- Topic from the music category
- Topic from the co-op category
- Topic from the platform category
- Co-op category
- A topic the co-op category’
- A topic from the platform category
- 1 topics from the music category (?)
- Topics from the music category:
- Topic from the co-op category:
- Topic from the platform category
- Add forum banner functionality: @angus will record video making changes
- Create the competition topic in #music: @boopboop
- @Hakanto will break out the website embeds into new topic in #platform:website, further specifying the changes. We will include them in the next development epic starting in October.
If the desired technical characteristics of a future ‘selector account’ are similar to those of the artist role / account and permissions - ie the ability to create multiple personas, with their own playlists and rich story / pictorial content, it’s straightforward from a back-end perspective - we just add another ‘usergroup type’ and they share the artist-level Role permissions. As you say, what the player UI / forum does with it is a different matter.
The key thing is to make sure that the player is associating playlists, releases, profile pictures and uploaded tracks with a ‘profile’ (persona, usergroup) and not directly with a user. Hope that is true!
Rather than using playlisting as the medium to feature the community in “Discover”, we’re proposing to include a curated list of tagged public posts from the #music category in the discover page of the player. This is in addition to all existing content on the discover page (nothing will be removed)
- Post in #music is tagged by genre (either by poster or staff)
- Post in #music is tagged by staff with
featuredtag (who will do the tagging)
- Content (partially technical): Title, avatar and excerpt of tagged topic (tbd)
- UX (partially technical): Add navigation button at the top (tbd)
- UX (partially technical): Placement in page (tbd)
- @angus will canvas proposal
- Write rules for curatorial tagging
- Analytics of tags - using the Data Explorer plugin and Resonate API
- @angus, @boopboop and @auggod will implement in the next epic before the renewal
There was a proposal to including a playing now stream (combined stream based on current listens) in the discover section of the player:
- Track Related Socializing: "The Wave" 🌊
- related: https://github.com/resonatecoop/tracks-api/pull/9 (@angus to review)
Features we may want for playlisting. These will be discussed further as part of a a future epic:
- CRUD of playlist
- Reordering tracks in playlist
- Updating album art
- Better placement of play-listing in UX and navigation
- Help text and pointers
- Better nav
- Better placement in the UX
- Featuring of playlists(?)
@community Just a note that the follow ups on our three areas of discussion are here
@melis_tailored Check this out.
@community here we go folks
@community Thanks for a good meeting all!
Here’s what we discussed
peace good people @community
just giving word that i won’t be making our call tonight. though this is the case, i was able to have further thought on the Mapping Diversity and Inclusion within Resonate and responded to that thread which you can see here
hope the meeting goes well and i will be on the look out for notes as they make it here to the forum space
@community Here we go
@community Thanks all
We continued to discuss the levels of engagement
@Hakanto shared some thoughts on how levels of engagement fit in with money and responsibility across the cooperative.
We’d like to fit artists into how we’re thinking about our levels of engagement. The first step in that is holding a regular artists forum, perhaps on a monthly basis, where artists can:
- meet other Resonate artists;
- find out what’s going on; and
- have input in how Resonate is being run
We’d need to reach out to Resonate artists directly, as many don’t participate in the forum currently. @Hakanto is preparing our artist member details in preparation for our upcoming AGM, so you might want to discuss with him about how to get a mailing list of resonate artists.
At this stage the artists forum would be a listening and discussion session with a broad scope. We want to find a realistic way for artists to be more engaged and inspired by Resonate and our plans
We’re going to trial a few UX changes on the forum to start to implement the levels of engagement, starting with:
- a sidebar to make it clearer how the structure of the categories and team groups work
- use of the header for realtime CTAs, e.g. current proposals or upcoming events
@brndnkng shared some good resources on social constructions of race. We’ll be discussing these and the diversity and inclusion survey in our next meeting
Happy to help. Keep me posted or message me directly @Angus if there’s a need for anything that I should have eyes on, help with as an artist.
i wanted to give the heads up about our call
2021-10-27T01:00:00Z → 2021-10-27T02:30:00Z
meeting link click → Home Room
the format/agenda for each meeting generally is:
- review and follow up from last week
- focus on one item
- setting up agenda for the coming week.
i’m thinking the one item we could focus on for this call is diversity and inclusion, unless there’s something else we feel may be more pressing to the crew that joins?
with this in mind, i’ve had time to think about the structure of this convo and have created a brief presentation… (incorporating feedback and suggestions from this thread
) that may be helpful in us thinking through some of these concepts.
thinking it could be cool to have a discussion around how people understand race and racialization working in different modes in different geographies. our technology can be a way for people to feel comfortable identifying as they feel, while also feeling secure enough to share that with other people.
hoping certain aspects of these discussion(s) could be scaled out to broader membership. as we learn as sharpen, and clarify our collective understanding(s).
Sounds great to me! Thanks for facilitating
@brndnkng Thanks again for faciliating Could you post the minutes here when you have the time?
@community As you guys know brandon is transitioning to Community Team lead, so he’ll be facilitating these meetings going forward. I’ll still be there! I just couldn’t make this one.
- review and follow up from last week
- focus on one item (focused on diversity and inclusion)
- setting up agenda for the coming week.
talked briefly about the Levels of Engagement but spent most of our time with a presentation by @brndnkng re: social construction of race and racialization.
presentation posed questions and focused on three definitions that we discussed/debated:
- "Race " is the witchcraft of our time.
M. F. Ashley Montagu - quoted from Racecraft: The Soul of Inequality in American Life by Barbara J. Fields and Karen Elise Fields
- race [is] an unstable and ‘de-centered’ complex of social meanings constantly being transformed by political struggle"- Michael Omi and Howard Winant Racial formation in the United States
- Racism, specifically, is the state-sanctioned or extralegal production and exploitation of group-differentiated vulnerability to premature death.”- Ruth Wilson Gilmore Golden Gulag
we also talked about “Terra Nullius” and Claire G. Goodman and indigenous erasure and lack of personhood which imposes a lack of access to the commons and predisposes the original inhabitants settler colonial violence.
we situated these concepts for ourselves, as three individuals, from three different geographies, attempting to work towards personal understandings, figuring out what these things mean for us collectively, in the context of our cooperative and global platform.
some themes that emerged included possibly using polis as a means to identify with a multidimensional set of personal characteristics to have a clearer sense of what identities exists within our community.
we discussed how race and racialization manifests differently in different geographies, which lead to a question about the dominant culture in resonate, and figuring out our positionally to that.
we talked global majority people who may be the majority where they are located being able to have power over others, but when they move to another geographies, their relationship to the local power structure may be drastically different.
discussed racialization in south florida that kind of turns u.s. understandings of race and racialization on it’s head. ex.
discussed the impermanence race and racialization, the creation of whiteness (recognizing it’s power to absorb cultures and dilute ethnic groups, and pit workers against one another) and the desire to de-center whiteness into the future (EuroAmerican maybe?). recognizing that these are inherited traits that have real consequences on our life chances.
“This ‘white race’ designation is a contrived super-nationality designed to inflate the social importance of European ethnics and to enlist them as tools in the Capitalist system of exploitation.“
“The fight against white-skin privilege also requires the rejection of the vicious identification of North Americans as ‘white’ people, rather than as Welsh, German, Irish, etc. as their national origin.“
– Lorenzo Kom’boa Ervin → found on Black Socialist in America’s Twitter page
in relationship to our platform, we thought of different things, along with the poll that could encourage inclusion within our cooperative
Player : have country/tags/how many plays. have a landing page focused on a specific genre and or regional pages that could support global majority artists reaching that threshold where they’re beginning to get paid for their streams after a certain amount of plays (proposed as a way to counter the algorithm when set on random primarily plays German Ambient music b/c of the volume we currently have on our player) ex. Disco Landing Page/Regional Landing Page or something like that
Caucuses within Resonate: Identity caucuses that are self-organized by members of resonate who would like to link up and figure out the things that make sense for them. (it’s not something that comes from the outside, but something that people know that there’s space for and labor isn’t primarily tied to these caucuses, but ideas could come from these spaces that could have broader effect on our cooperative)
→ Rojava was brought up as an example of a womyns revolution that’s transforming Kurdish society. womyn have parallel institutions that they run themselves.
we also discussed class and well as gender in tech, the lack of femme and womyn in development, what could be done to counter this and this book was also brought up as a resource
one of the main things brought up on this call was how awkward it can be to have these conversations especially with people you’ve never met before irl.
we expressed the importance of having a coop culture of openness and vulnerability. that things aren’t perfect, but these are the things we’re building towards and would like for you to assist us in this process. it can be scary to share, but we need your input.
i believe the main thing we’ve come to is a process around understanding and incorporating these concepts is starting with self, and working from there. the importance of documentation too so that we aren’t reinventing the wheel.