Create new "Members" main category?

I’m been pondering creation of a new main category here in the forum called Members.

The idea:

• a category only visible by Resonate members (as determined by who is in the member-related forum usergroups)
  • the designated place for voting on resolutions
  • a place for discussion and sharing of any private membership/co-op related matters
  • would make managing voting on resolutions easier, since access to voting could be controlled at the category level rather than on each individual voting poll

In practice, Members would replace the current General Meetings category which is nested within General and has poor visibility. For discussing matters of membership and the co-op, the General Meetings category feels too limited in scope and the General category feels too broad. A highly-visible Members category seems a good solution.

• Let’s try the Members category
  • I think this will cause a problem… [comment]
  • I have an improvement to suggest… [comment]
  • Don’t care either way

0 voters

4 Likes

https://community.resonate.coop/c/members/98

It’s live :rose:

3 Likes

This is my bad for not voting and not reading and I’m 100% that person who comes in here and is like “but but” after the vote has concluded. I’m super sorry.

But but right now we don’t have a very good process for making sure that members who are on this forum are marked as members. There’s no real connection between their payment or contribution as a worker or contribution as a musician. So I’m worried that by having a private category for members we are excluding people who might not have had their group set appropriately simply because no one is doing that and we don’t really have a way for flagging that.

What if we made the category read-only for non members?

4 Likes

@psi very good point. I’ll change the settings to what you recommended. I was actually going to ask you for suggestions on how to best implement this, since yeah the membership group management on the forum isn’t auto-synced or anything right now. Until we have a better system for these, making them read-only is a good solution. I wouldn’t want someone to not even know the category existed simply because they aren’t in it; then if the were a member but not registered as such by the forum, they wouldn’t even know they don’t have access to something they need (at least with current signposting)

1 Like

@psi Updated

1 Like

Respectfully, I move that we disable the aspect of this that makes that category read-only to non-members immediately. We have two people who have been quite involved in Resonate’s community that are categorized as non-members, when they definitely should be able to post in that forum in my opinion. When I voted on this topic I thought anyone with an account here would be able to post, but I now realize it’s only this group it seems that it’s heavily associated with trust levels. We don’t have enough mechanisms for determining membership in place to handle this gracefully currently, and people shouldn’t be excluded from participating because of this (or be forced to create a topic in another area of the forum just to discuss a proposal, it makes things chaotic).

For context:

2 Likes

I can’t seem to post in AGM resolution topics. Do I need special permissions to do so?

Edit: Investigating further, I don’t seem to be able to post in posts tagged “Member.”

3 Likes

Good feedback. I’ve updated permissions so that “everyone” can read/write in all categories within Members. Until we have a dependable process for keeping membership status synced with the forum, it isn’t very practical to set up any restrictions on the Members category.

4 Likes

Thanks so much for hopping on this @Hakanto! Apologies for voting without fully comprehending your prompt.

1 Like

Np. Usergroups, trust levels and membership stuff is confusing, especially since some of the terminology overlaps

1 Like

we’re about to make it worse by calling “artists”, “labels”, and “bands” all different “user_groups” in the database :sunglasses:

2 Likes