Dismantling White Culture at Resonate

I’ll be joining after the Board meeting, probably about 30 minutes late.

2 Likes

Ok great! @tshiunghan in that case we will start 15 after the top of the hour to make sure we make space for Rich to plug in. See you both soon!

1 Like

Is that going to be 6:15pm UTC?

1 Like

4:15 UTC! feel free to join in when/if you can- the meeting ends at 5:30 UTC. Ill be on standby :slightly_smiling_face:

My bad, I thought it started later. Joining now.

Edit: OK, I see now that the time I was seeing in the event description was the end time for the event because it had already started. I’m not used to this level of adjustment in my UX.

Thank you @ode12 for holding down today’s session and it was so good to be in community with @tshiunghan. (Malaysia in the house!)

Chat from today’s session (random notes):

diane e (she/her) says: https://www.noemamag.com/back-to-the-victorian-future/

rich says:glanced through the piece… thank you!

diane e (she/her) says: Ibn Al Haytham (originator of ‘scientific method’)

rich:consideration of greek culture as white / european / western is another largely victorian construct.

rich: re: ‘human time’ → homily attributed to buddhism: “first you die”

rich:Sumak kawsay - Wikipedia (alternative definitions of ‘development’)

rich:^‘buen vivir’ “good living”

rich:heroic tragedy (‘making the tough calls’) - managed violence/colonial brutality
rich:PEDAGOGY OF THE OPPRESSED as alternative educational model

rich:Forum Theater

Rich:all wealth is from the commons

diane e (she/her) says: https://www.versobooks.com/books/2311-late-victorian-holocausts can also share pdf w/ anyone too!

10:57

Rich:material democracy
Rich: (compassion at Resonate for human issues around embodied time) it’s very sincere… it came up in the Board session today… there is a great deal of sympathy for the time problem here

4 Likes

For all the folks following the thread please note the time change for the next upcoming meeting! i look forward to seeing everyone again soon

4 Likes

The article contains this sentence:

It’s no coincidence that Elon Musk chose to name his company after him.

Elon didn’t found Tesla. He bought into the company as co-founder, pushed the original founder out and waged a successful PR campaign to be identified as sole founder (see link below).

It’s a testament to how successful he was that this article doesn’t acknowledge this omission. But instead of undermining this article’s argument, the omission reinforces it: only geniuses have a license to change the future. Perhaps the past as well.

3 Likes

def. also victorian elements of ‘consolidating’ collective knowledge, and leader vs community ways of disseminating knowledge. thank you for the share!

3 Likes

The idea of social evolution (that is, the idea that a more highly developed society can permit higher levels of freedom and equality) comes from the French economist Turgot, and it was a response to the “indigenous critique” of European inequality.

Indigenous societies already had concepts like equality and the welfare state, but these ideas were dismissed by Europeans like Turgot in the mid-1700s without much substance.

Graeber and Wengro talk about this in The Dawn of Everything and in the video below. The whole talk is worth watching, but the relevant part starts at 48:47.

5 Likes

Bump! Sending a Reminder that we are meeting at a new time to make sure we can have as much participation as possible.

So for this session, I picked up on two themes I’d like to continue to explore which is how to set an organizing mindset or trajectory in co-operative organizing. First, which I know to be a favorite theorist of some here is Jessica Gordon Nembhard- and her work on the history of African American Co-operatives. This video I am sharing below are suggestions she lays out for a transformative co-operative. If you have time, please watch until minute 45:00 .

The other really great topic we discussed was (neo) extractivism and what that means for pace, time stretch, tech production and labor. Here is a really great small book by Ailton Krenak called Ideas to Postpone the End of the World. Read as much as you can or not, itll serve as the jumping point to talk about how to counter extractivist logic in day to day work!
Ideas to Postpone the End of the World (Ailton Krenak) (z-lib.org).pdf (754.0 KB)

Please let me know if one runs into any data issues with obtaining both items! I look forward to touching base with folks soon!!

4 Likes

Thanks Diane! Looking forward to building and disrupting tendencies toward white supremacy in our cooperative spaces.

3 Likes

Thanks, Diane. Looking forward to this session.

2 Likes
1 Like

Sorry I can’t be there today, hopefully I can attend the next meeting.

3 Likes

@LLK Your absence was felt We wondered whether this new time might work for you and others in Europe.

Thanks @ode12 for facilitating again! Thank you @tshiunghan & @piper for sharing your presence and participation.

3 Likes

below are the chat notes:
Collective Courage

rich he/they says:Centrality of Pluralism

rich he/they says:Text exceedingly popular in Brazil

rich he/they says:Comments about terms: Solidarity Economy: strong international term

8:17

han (he/him)

han (he/him) says:Kita jaga kita

8:21

me says:ujima- swahili

me says:adequate resources, financing, participation- human energy, ENTHUSIASM, solidarity and trust among members, conflict TRANSFORMATION, internal education and training, study circles management training, public education and publicity, local control inter/intra-cooperation

8:37

han (he/him)

han (he/him) says:adding friction

8:38

me says:sitting with ‘relationality’ - and how does work demonstrate this, in its dimensions

8:39

han (he/him)

han (he/him) says:fluency in pluralism

8:42

rich he/they

rich he/they says:concept of ‘cultural auditor’

rich he/they says:heartbreaking and true… han

8:46

han (he/him)

han (he/him) says:conflict transformation

8:53

rich he/they

rich he/they says:Relying interested in Bookchin/Öcalan - Rojava

rich he/they says:gender equity

8:55

han (he/him)

han (he/him) says:Thanks for sharing, Peter

han (he/him) says:The co-op meta

8:58

me says:gender equity- to what end (marginalized genders included)? and can we think about human energy, solidarity, enthusiasm in this context?

8:59

han (he/him)

han (he/him) says:attentional budget

han (he/him) says:What’s DEI?

9:05

rich he/they

rich he/they says:I’ve got about ten minutes more for the session…

rich he/they says:Diversity / Equity / Inclusion

han (he/him)

han (he/him) says:👍

rich he/they

rich he/they says:Standard ‘Business/Academic’ term

rich he/they says:collective protocol to facilitate pluralistic relations

looking forward to our next one soon!

3 Likes

Some Members and contributors have been working on a document called Maintainers’ Role to set out standards for collective work on the co-op’s software.

I have questions about how these standards might conform to the mission expressed in the Resonate Manifesto, particularly sections 8 and 11.

Is ‘democracy’ an ahistorical concept based on administrative procedures? Or are such procedures and the concept of ‘democratic standing’ themselves determined by historical legacies and social context?

In the context of offering a prefigurative order for the present world systems crisis can a circle dominated by cis males of European descent plausibly conduct work on a planetary-scale utility like the web in a manner that is ‘democratic’? If not, are there tactics that can be employed to require the manifestation of inclusivity, social repair and empowerment of historically exploited and dispossessed communities in these efforts?

I added some comments and suggestions to the draft document and thought this next DWC@Resonate might be an appropriate venue for discussion.

1 Like

Is ‘democracy’ an ahistorical concept based on administrative procedures? Or are such procedures and the concept of ‘democratic standing’ themselves determined by historical legacies and social context?

The way the above paragraph is framed makes me think of The Tyranny of Structurelessness which is an often misunderstood and misrepresented text but gives super valuable insights into how when a lack of clearly defined structure and accountability processes within non-hierarchical organizations creates cliques and processes that are obscure to outsiders, that often fall along well established lines of oppression, and prevent people from getting more involved. It emphasizes that if you want to be inclusive to people, you need to make it clear how decisions are made, make decisions transparent to the rest of the group, and show who is making the decisions (and how that group of decision makers can be changed).

A couple of personal and observed experiences within Resonate have made me think of this essay, it might be worth it for the group to read it!

5 Likes

I tend to think that ahistorical concepts are concepts whose (usually problematic) historical origins have been erased. IQ comes from eugenics. The Tragedy of the Commons has its roots in ecofascism. There’s a direct line between slavery and business management. So many ideas which we use to understand society and the environment have been consumed uncritically.

For some people, perhaps democracy belongs on this list of dangerous ideas, for enabling the rise of fascism. In a lot of the organizations I participate in on a regular basis, more democracy is thought to be bad or “too costly to implement”; anathema to decision making because nothing gets done.

I agree with Graeber here: more democracy means more real problems get solved, at the expense of the status quo. Democracy enables fascism when it’s co-opted in the form of representative democracies. The closer we can move towards direct democracy, the better.

2 Likes