Dismantling White Culture at Resonate

I am super familiar with Femi’s work, and I can make myself to be available or even have some guiding questions to assist with discussion- Diane

1 Like

Unfortunately, I’ve started a new work schedule that won’t permit me to attend tomorrow.

So, after a break, the next session will meet July 14.

Thank you @ode12 for your offer to help organize the next session.

And thanks to all for your interest and understanding.

I found this workbook today and have been reading through. The methodology seems relevant to our work, even if the specifics are sometimes tangential.

2 Likes

Hey hey,

I am excited to take on these sessions into the next month, but I am also curious about scope and discourse into the next month around some of these topics. Let me know if you are planning on joining tomorrow!

2 Likes

I was thinking of dropping in. Is there anything I should read before the session?

3 Likes

Awesome, I am thinking this piece will be great for tomorrow. How Victorian Values Pervade Big Tech

3 Likes

I’ll be joining after the Board meeting, probably about 30 minutes late.

2 Likes

Ok great! @tshiunghan in that case we will start 15 after the top of the hour to make sure we make space for Rich to plug in. See you both soon!

1 Like

Is that going to be 6:15pm UTC?

1 Like

4:15 UTC! feel free to join in when/if you can- the meeting ends at 5:30 UTC. Ill be on standby :slightly_smiling_face:

My bad, I thought it started later. Joining now.

Edit: OK, I see now that the time I was seeing in the event description was the end time for the event because it had already started. I’m not used to this level of adjustment in my UX.

Thank you @ode12 for holding down today’s session and it was so good to be in community with @tshiunghan. (Malaysia in the house!)

Chat from today’s session (random notes):

diane e (she/her) says: https://www.noemamag.com/back-to-the-victorian-future/

rich says:glanced through the piece… thank you!

diane e (she/her) says: Ibn Al Haytham (originator of ‘scientific method’)

rich:consideration of greek culture as white / european / western is another largely victorian construct.

rich: re: ‘human time’ → homily attributed to buddhism: “first you die”

rich:Sumak kawsay - Wikipedia (alternative definitions of ‘development’)

rich:^‘buen vivir’ “good living”

rich:heroic tragedy (‘making the tough calls’) - managed violence/colonial brutality
rich:PEDAGOGY OF THE OPPRESSED as alternative educational model

rich:Forum Theater

Rich:all wealth is from the commons

diane e (she/her) says: https://www.versobooks.com/books/2311-late-victorian-holocausts can also share pdf w/ anyone too!

10:57

Rich:material democracy
Rich: (compassion at Resonate for human issues around embodied time) it’s very sincere… it came up in the Board session today… there is a great deal of sympathy for the time problem here

4 Likes

For all the folks following the thread please note the time change for the next upcoming meeting! i look forward to seeing everyone again soon

4 Likes

The article contains this sentence:

It’s no coincidence that Elon Musk chose to name his company after him.

Elon didn’t found Tesla. He bought into the company as co-founder, pushed the original founder out and waged a successful PR campaign to be identified as sole founder (see link below).

It’s a testament to how successful he was that this article doesn’t acknowledge this omission. But instead of undermining this article’s argument, the omission reinforces it: only geniuses have a license to change the future. Perhaps the past as well.

3 Likes

def. also victorian elements of ‘consolidating’ collective knowledge, and leader vs community ways of disseminating knowledge. thank you for the share!

3 Likes

The idea of social evolution (that is, the idea that a more highly developed society can permit higher levels of freedom and equality) comes from the French economist Turgot, and it was a response to the “indigenous critique” of European inequality.

Indigenous societies already had concepts like equality and the welfare state, but these ideas were dismissed by Europeans like Turgot in the mid-1700s without much substance.

Graeber and Wengro talk about this in The Dawn of Everything and in the video below. The whole talk is worth watching, but the relevant part starts at 48:47.

5 Likes

Bump! Sending a Reminder that we are meeting at a new time to make sure we can have as much participation as possible.

So for this session, I picked up on two themes I’d like to continue to explore which is how to set an organizing mindset or trajectory in co-operative organizing. First, which I know to be a favorite theorist of some here is Jessica Gordon Nembhard- and her work on the history of African American Co-operatives. This video I am sharing below are suggestions she lays out for a transformative co-operative. If you have time, please watch until minute 45:00 .

The other really great topic we discussed was (neo) extractivism and what that means for pace, time stretch, tech production and labor. Here is a really great small book by Ailton Krenak called Ideas to Postpone the End of the World. Read as much as you can or not, itll serve as the jumping point to talk about how to counter extractivist logic in day to day work!
Ideas to Postpone the End of the World (Ailton Krenak) (z-lib.org).pdf (754.0 KB)

Please let me know if one runs into any data issues with obtaining both items! I look forward to touching base with folks soon!!

4 Likes

Thanks Diane! Looking forward to building and disrupting tendencies toward white supremacy in our cooperative spaces.

3 Likes

Thanks, Diane. Looking forward to this session.

2 Likes
1 Like