Featured Playlist Development

Great ideas here. We can start working on these designs bit by bit.

Let’s not mistake as intentional the outcomes of our current technical and labor limitations. Many things at resonate simply are the way they are and we must make the best of them – improving them in small steps.

It may be easier than I know for us to build out these features, but we are still very limited by our capacity. Resonate can feel big, but all of us who are active here could probably fit in a cafe. The developers could all fit at one table.

3 Likes

I wish I could help more with that kind of stuff. I think @melis_tailored 's idea of a sort of “multi-playlist ethos” landing page where we try to showcase different approaches (in a way I’d see it presented a bit like a news outlet website landing page) would help not put the focus on any one particular kind of playlist and either people would go to the kind they’re interested in or even better maybe that could incite them to try different kinds depending on the day and what’s being showcased.

Also : agreed the word competition needs to disappear, it’s the kind of word that just makes me want to run away and never look back, like, I have a very very strong problem with it in any context that isn’t Sport (ie. That doesn’t have an artificial set of rules meant to define an archetypal and artificially designed “best” in a narrowed down field that’s just symbolic).

To be even clearer, in any situation where there isn’t a clear and pragmatic definition of what is “best” (here who can tell with absolute certainty what’s the “best” playlist?) agreed upon by all participants, the word competiton doesn’t apply.

3 Likes

Here’s where we can start making a wishlist of features for the Browse Playlists Page. @boopboop has been independently doing a lot of cool work on this theme!

2 Likes

Reminder that an embedded playlist or album will only allow people to listen to the first 45 seconds of each track. Want to make sure that we are on the same page about that!

1 Like

Is there no way to have a system similar to Bandcamp where an artist can give a link to an integrated embedded player for his/her release that only works on a specific website which allows for stuff like press exclusive to display the song / album on their page? At least for releases. Playlists are another set of issues and a bigger can of worms.

3 Likes

Let’s continue that convo here, @LLK.

1 Like

There‘s a big difference between multiple ppl being given the opportunity to contribute to a single playlist, of multiple tracks, with clear guidelines to further diversity - aka staff picks (which we planned to rename community picks in november). vs a competition to find a single playlist to highlight.

even if the process is democratic, the outcome isn‘t. it‘s a competition - and i‘m surprised we‘re going down that route given the labours undertaken over the miniscule details if everything else we do. also, art as a competition is literally against our manifesto, whether you use the word or just the process.

staff picks was working pretty well - i wasn‘t aware it had become a huge labour for you @Hakanto - happy to take that back off your plate.

the playlist browser page is hugely important - in that we have the chance to change how an entire industry functions & presents curation! this is a huge topic that needs many different perspectives & brains - i can share some of the thoughts story team also had in this area earlier in the year. essentially, we should be aiming for revolution not status quo (in all things).

i‘m still confused how some things of huge importance can seem to be decided & actioned with so little research/wider input, but things that are widely discussed, simple & agreed, don‘t happen cuz of some random thing buried deep in the rule book.

goodnight.

2 Likes

you ever get the feeling that there‘s too many different groups & threads to follow & maybe that‘s putting people off participation & engagement?

1 Like

If you feel that this experiment isn’t safe enough to try and will do harm then we should pause. I don’t want move ahead with it until you feel heard and we all have this discussion, @melis_tailored.

I’m also noting references to other things like the Rulebook, expectations around how groups make decisions together, and how we discuss topics in the forum and elsewhere. Would you like it if we paused this situation and took a moment to all get on the same page?

That said, this chat doesn’t need to be done immediately. Enjoy the weekend, all of us!

1 Like

organization and transparency

It may seem cumbersome to have more threads rather than fewer, but I would hate for great ideas to get lost in a long thread with an unrelated title. Splitting out discussions allows space for ideas. That said, I hear the concerns. There is a lot going on in this forum. I’m sure the amount of text generated makes it hard for folks.

At the same time, I’m glad these conversations are now happening in a common workspace that all members can participate in. The forum has come a long way in the last year for the better; our work is much more transparent and accessible from when everything was happening in Basecamp.

user stories and product owners

All our feature wishlists are saved with the #story tag across the Platform category. These are our reference points for specifying each feature that we want for our different products: Player, Dashboard, etc. In my role as product owner, I am tasked with listening to what folks want us to build, creating #story topics to define those features, and then prioritizing them.

The role isn’t about “ownership” per se. It’s about facilitating a conversation between members and developers. We are currently trying a minimalist version of Agile practice to bring much needed structure to our development work. That’s where these terms come from.

spreading out the work; defining roles

I don’t think it is ideal that I am the product owner for three products at Resonate, nor that I be doing that in addition to my work as chairperson. It’s a lot of influence consolidated in one person and I would prefer that distributed. It’s also a ton of work.

I ended up as product owners for the Player, Dashboard, and Forum because the role needed to be filled. I had broad knowledge of how things fit together at Resonate and I was willing to take it on. I’m no expert, so expect mistakes. If anyone at Resonate is interested in becoming a product owner for one of our products, I would love to have a conversation about it.

@angus and I will add descriptions for these roles to the Handbook. We had planned to in the past, but things have been so busy that it was forgotten. This is a good reminder of the importance of that.

relationship between roles

We have some new teams that have recently formed until @angus’ guidance: The Development Team, Community Team, Communications Team. Finally, we need to do some clarification about what the relationship between product owners and teams is.

:heart: To that.

Since it’s a topic I’ve probably missed a lot about, is there somewhere I can read your propositions or some documentations about ideas for playlists that you had or that you felt were interesting?

I agree Playlists are a crucial question in a Playlist driven music ecosystem, and we shouldn’t treat that lightly, as often with music I don’t know what our legal limits are, and I’m aware there’s also the limit of our business model for embeded players which would require people to connect or otherwise the songs are streamed for free and that could be a major loophole.

But yes, let’s keep this topic alive and let’s figure out how to make, not really better Playlists but more rewarding ways to make them, listen to them, spread them and avoid playlists to cannibalize the rest of our platform habits (ie. A big issue with playlists : that it pushes “the player” before “the maker” by making artists just a line in a list of “content”).

1 Like

Yeah, as a means to discovering music, there are a variety of ways we’ve experienced that playlisting can be toxic. Let’s define what those anticipated harms are, whether they are applicable at a co-op, and steer in a new direction.

The reason I say “whether they are applicable at a co-op” is because we are so used to being in environments where stuff happens and then there is nothing we can do about it. We should have foresight, but can’t avoid making any mistakes. As a co-operative, if we end up doing something awful, we should be able to fix it – whether it is implementing a toxic feature on the player, electing the wrong guy to be chairperson, anything. To me, that’s part of what is exciting about building a democracy; we are less fragile than we may assume.

If we are too cautious about doing experiments, we’ll end up a different bad place: an environment where no one feels like they can take initiative, waiting for the perfect plan to be ready. I wonder how many good ideas would never be shared, because folks fear their ideas aren’t good enough for us. But if this is a place where we try things, reflect on them, and then change them – if that’s what we’re good at – I think that is the process that will feel like co-operation. I think that will show people that we are a learning culture.

I expect that with some of the most beautiful places we discover, we may not know they are beautiful until we are standing in them.

3 Likes

so to be 100% honest, I’m very confused by this discussion. Not the parts about the merits or not of having playlists as a feature and how they should be treated and which should be encouraged vs discouraged, but more the part that treats the playlist list and featured playlist as something that has to be discussed before it’s created.

The part that confuses me is that from my point of view, “featured playlist” and “playlist browse” already exist?

From what I can tell, there’s been a featured playlist for a long time (it definitely exists on the wordpress version), and there’s also playlist browse functionality on the non-wordpress player. I even made a little app to reimagine it.

Aside from having an issue with my password, the only other reason I had for even coming on the forum was to ask for permission to use the API to browse the playlists through the API, which - technically - I didn’t have to do, and several people replied to encourage me to do so.

Perhaps it would be productive to take a step back to first principles?

From what I understood @melis_tailored was concerned about replacing staff picks with a user playlist chosen from a competitive community selection process. I wasn’t picking up a dislike of playlists per se (?).

Perhaps we could re-purpose this effort to be a “community playlist” that appears below the “staff picks”? i.e. have both? The community playlist could be chosen via a democratic process in the community, voting for tracks in a combined playlist rather than selecting a single user’s. We could then show the avatars of all the folks who voted in the player itself.

We could also have an adapted version of @boopboop’s proposed rules, which I believe were aimed at the same goals @melis_tailored was advocating, i.e.

Something like

• The same artist can’t appear two months in a row
  • There’s a genre quota in each list
  • There’s a diversity quota in each list

Keep in mind that truly algroithmic discovery based on user choice is not easy to do. Spotify still does this imperfectly. Resonate’s community is something that makes it unique. We can include that unique element in our player too.

Nothing against playlists - they’re a hugely useful tool for discovery and curation.
I am against competition in art.

Playlists are a tool for marketing as well - which is why we have to be careful with how we highlight them, so as not to work against our own ideals as a coop.

And if we want to do something as a “competition” it needs to align with our ideals. To highlight the undiscovered, create community and “wealth/value” for those who do not have it over and above those who already do in the DSP/playlisting space.

Algorithmic discovery as spotify is a shitshow of payola, popularity and advertising. Doing the exact opposite of everything they do would be a good starting point.

Bandcamp do it a better way - on their front page is a rolling ticker of everything that’s bought. Then under each release, is the picture of who bought it - you can click through to peoples profiles to see what they’re buying, listening and playlisting. Something like that would be wonderful for our community, add colour to the pages, value to the cooperation experience.

I’m all for experimenting with ways to foster community and engagement - but they do need to follow our core values. And we have to remember that right now we have a beta website & player, with limited catalogue, so we have held off advertising/communicating to the community and wider world in the run up to the renewal, because we didn’t want to bring in a whole new audience before we were ready.

I think renaming staff picks > community picks would be great. The “staff” are the community and it would remove the final vestiges of hierarchy from this playlist.

5 Likes

This is the point of view from which I’m coming:

the beta platform needs more completely naive / new beta testers

Currently maybe 4 people regularly make public playlists. With this few people actively using this feature, it’s certainly scary that when the floodgates open, as it were, there’s going to be users turned by some annoyance and potentially not enough time to fix it. Inviting some early adopters to create playlists and report back before the “big reveal” would shine a light on issues that maybe should be in the process of being fixed before the platform is broadcast to the world. The poll / voting / competition format, which involves having yet another subset of beta testers listen to the playlists, adds another layer of testing and feedback.

algorithms are reflection of the people / priorities who made them

Algorithmic generation of track order / playlists on other platforms prioritizes ad revenue because that’s what the owners of the platforms told the algorithm to prioritize. Right now, the algorithm on Resonate prioritizes those artists with the greater number of tracks, but spreads the plays so thin for them to see any payout unless they have devoted fans on Resonate. If I didn’t know better, I would assume this is on purpose so that the revenue from the “spread too thin” act like a loan to the platform since those artists will never make it past the payment process fee threshold.

The Resonate platform algorithms should prioritize whatever the people behind this platform want it to prioritize - If the platform’s people wanted to prioritize “increase number of artists getting paid each month” or “have certain % of plays each month be to artists on a particular continent / set of countries / tags”, that would be doable, and honestly not that hard to implement.

2 Likes

Lots of good ideas here. I think there’s enough overlap between the different perspectives here to add community involvement in some form to the “discovery” section of the player, which is the primary thing we’re talking about here (lots of other related things).

Based on what folks have said so far, the three main goals of adding community involvement in the discovery section of the player would be:

• improve the discovery of tracks in line with our values;
  • testing and improving the player’s functionality; and
  • encouraging engagement

We have a community meeting tomorrow. We’ll discuss this and determine the next incremental step we can take here. All are welcome to attend the meeting, and we’ll canvas wherever we land with the broader community afterwards here in the forum before going ahead with anything.

2 Likes

Why only one featured playlist? Why not offer a multiplicity, a divergent field of playlists?

In general, I think we should measure the co-op’s health by the spiciness and range of its pluralisms and polycultures. With playlists, some people should find a particular playlist sublime while others tremble at it with revulsion or suicide-inducing boredom. This would signal a healthy community.

We should support high energy states in contradictory directions. We should not try to predict or manage which directions will spike. This is the Artist’s job, finding new ways to build and signify from their intuitions about the conditions and structure of their milieux. We should always be surprised.

(This is why legacy genre tags seem so deadly and ahistorical to me. How are tags updated and complicated when, for example, new artists return to pick at the carcasses of prior works and styles? But that is a discussion for another day.)

I think it is fair to question whether any credible stewards (the co-op’s role according to the manifesto) could run art through a popularity contest. Wouldn’t any contest produce more losers than winners? That would be a bad outcome.

I tend to think the path to the Co-op’s strategic cultural advantage is as an assemblage of niches and vast minorities. While we can’t compete with the corporate hegemony’s brute quantities, we can win with liveliness and care.

Maybe there is a design solution for this problem?

Interested. :sunflower:

Reflections on the history and concept of staff picks, community picks, and featuring artists.

Regardless of who is submitting picks, the curator has had the ability to rearrange or remove picks. This has been the case for Staff Picks and would continue to be the case for Community Picks as it stands. The curator hasn’t had to inform anyone if or why a pick didn’t make the cut. Alternatively, when there aren’t enough submissions, the curator has to do most of the picking themselves. It also hasn’t been clearly stated who the curator is. Often it’s been me.

This isn’t much better than a restaurant putting out a submission box on a table asking for ideas of what to put on the menu for tonight. Maybe you drop in “spaghetti”, but ultimately it’s up to the chef whether spaghetti gets made and you won’t know until the menu is in front of you. And then they call it “our menu”. By some democratization standards, this isn’t even at the level of “participatory”.

If the final curator was elected by the community in question, that would be a step toward democratization. Or if the curator was elected each month perhaps. Nevertheless, I feel we’re trying to fix something which isn’t worth fixing.

The Staff Picks playlist was inherited from the original design of the player. It wasn’t so much something we decided we wanted, but rather something that existed which we had to make the best of. Since the old player had virtually zero music discovery tools, Staff Picks represented an opportunity to hand-pick songs that could help folks explore Resonate’s catalog. Work was already being done on Staff Picks so it found its way to the main page of the new player – creating a need to decide what to do with it going forward, to rework it, remove it, expand it, etc. That’s where we are.

When effort was put into maintaining Staff Picks again, there was a goal of making it diverse. Nevertheless, the number of submissions has always been extremely low, even after moving the submission process to the forum and naming it Community Picks. This idea of “users submitting songs, resulting in a diverse playlist” has always been a very rough attempt to make the best of a very limited situation and has generally been only an approximation of diversity or democracy. Yet it was the best we had and I’m glad we did it.

Few of the limitations exist anymore that created the need for this kind of playlist, so I hope we don’t continue to go down this pothole-filled road. It seems that most folks are on the same page here – desiring that we have a multiplicity of curators, playlists and roads for music discovery. Let’s do it! And if we end up featuring a playlists or artists, let’s just make those processes as transparent as possible.

Without regular updates, “featured” elements are harmful to the platform’s image. Seeing the featured artists or staff picks never change makes a platform feel dead, hence why we changed the main page of the new player to feature new releases instead. These are my primary concerns going forward: to make future featuring processes transparent and regular, to label curators as such, and to democratize curation roles or at least make knowable how they got appointed as such.

1 Like