šŸ‘‹ Introduce Yourself

So great to see you back Nacho! Thanks for coming through this week. I hope we can build time for mutual benefit. :raised_hands:t4:

4 Likes

peace good people,

my name is brandon (all lowercase*) and iā€™ve been a member of resonate for a little over a year and a half now, but have been involved more recently over the past six months working primarily on member orientation and volunteer coordinationā€¦

i was gonna put like an ā€œofficialā€ bio, but i like my artist bio much better and feel like peeps here in resonate might vibe more with it.

i (leon grey) am a dj/sound-selector from the atlantic ocean by way of hampton roads, virginia. i create visual art, orchestrate soundscapes, and exercise my love for us as a cultural worker and community organizer. until this global shift of 2020, i called jackson mississippi my base. as a founding member, cultural organizer, event coordinator, cooperative developer, and program coordinator of Cooperation Jackson, where i struggled to actualize Black self-determination and economic democracy in the Black-Belt South of the so-called united states.

the work i do is political, spiritual, and intimate. for the past decade, i worked to open space to interrogate and dream about reorganizing h(is)tory and our current social order as a community organizer. iā€™ve had the privilege of performing as a sound selector across turtle island and beyond, in my hometown in virginia, as well as places like new york city, charlotte north carolina, atlanta georgia, detroit michigan, montreal and toronto canada, new orleans louisiana, austin and fort worth texas, santa rosa california, and veracruz mexico. my most recent international performance took place in a visual arts studio space in hackney london in the late summer of 2019.

ultimately, iā€™m interested in taking people on sonic journeys irrespective of musical genres or labels. while spinning records, i create, compliment and juxtapose sonic vibrations within space, enabling an environment of expansiveness and time travel, conjuring pathways of healing through an unrepressed spectrum of joy and despair. my practice honors my ancestors that comforts me from those vast waters yet rages against opaque space-time constricts that i exist within and produce from. i work toward/through/against conflict such as truth/myth, joy/despair, free/unfree, value/disposability, temporal dimension, body and Blackness.

ā€“
i recently had a mix up on montez press radio last friday and should be up on my music platforms v soon. def feel free to peep some of my sounds in the meantime.

mixcloud page
soundcloud page
creative content page (that also includes some of my visual art)

but yah, looking forward to connecting with like-minded people and building out this platform which i feel has tremendous potential for cultural bearers to have true autonomy, to be in control of our labor value, and to be able to engage in a process where itā€™s managed democratically. that all sounds really dope to me and iā€™m game for working towards it, especially b/c i see it as a direct link to working towards repairing many of the harms and extraction that has happened and continues to happen to marginalized peoples.

def hmu if u wanna build. iā€™ll be around :call_me_hand:t5:

11 Likes

peace brndn

thanks for sharing the opportunity to build with you.

~r

3 Likes

Hi!

I first read about Resonate as one of three alternatives (SonStream being another) to Spotify via an article in the Incredible Reading Focused App platform called ReadUp.com (another super ethical and transparent and positive app in the world to make us all better).

I made a commitment to checking these alternatives out as a result of the article read.

I am excited to plug in here now both as an artist and a listener (I enjoy ecstatic dancing outdoors in nature so new music is welcome for that).

My current songwriting and music making moniker is HourGlass Mandala. Here is the link: Hourglass Mandala | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Due to a defective device I have been limited to only experimenting with programmed beats and sounds via GarageBand rather than organic instruments. I am eager to get back to writing on a piano. So a lot of the newer stuff on SCloud has been electronic based cover songs. I have recently posted some original ideas that need more production finesse, etc.

Some of my older SoundCloud tracks are just me and a piano or guitar or vocal experiments. I have also had opportunities to collaborate with friend musicians on original material also found there.

I am excited to dive in here and spread the word amongst artists and learn how to be active and contributing as a new co-op member.

I also volunteer at our local co-op grocery store in Taos, NM. In fact we just had a grand reopening in a new space and I won a reiki session which I am excited about.

I will explore more. Feel free to call me hummingbird or humming.verbs. (a writing and visual artist moniker) here. My birth name is Jeremy.

Glad to be here and looking forward to the new app and player launch. As a newbie, the player was one of the first things I noticed needing improvement. Excited to know that is a priority.

9 Likes

Hello all,

My name is Sarina. I was on the volunteer orientation yesterday. I would love to start to support. Iā€™ve filed my onboarding form.

Iā€™m a music and touring industry worker. Iā€™m also the majority-worker, and majority shareholder of a very small touring equipment rental business. In the Fall, Iā€™ll be starting law school to specifically come out as a lawyer that provides services to Community Land Trusts, and all of their entities such as worker cooperatives. Music industry is the industry I come from, and where most of my capitalism critique has developed from, along with reading works by Dr Jared Ball, Huey P Newton, Marx, Richard Wolff, and more.

Here is my resume:

Interests:
ā€¢ legal
ā€¢ funding

Sarina

9 Likes

Iā€™m extremely happy to see new volunteers show up with a desire to help on the paralegal front. Itā€™s an area that I think is not only necessary overall, itā€™s also necessary for it to be treated from a critical perspective based in a good comprehension of what ā€œthe lawā€ means in a capitalist economy. Iā€™ll be looking forward to read your various thoughts on those issues, Iā€™m sure youā€™ll have a lot to bring and weā€™ll have a lot to learn !

Thank you for chiming in.

6 Likes

Thanks so much. Yes, thatā€™s how my eye is attune to the legal frameworks of the capitalist world.

4 Likes

Hi :wave: My back catalogue just arrived on Resonate today. Thanks @Hakanto for communicating well!

Iā€™m a Canadian jazz bassist. Just about to send an email to my audience introducing them to Resonateā€”excited for whatā€™s to come!

9 Likes

Welcome @will @sarinapl @jowensster !!

Thank you for dropping by and saying hello.

I want to point out that this forum is a pale image of the vibrant democratic village we hope it can become with your help. For those inclined to meet up and build this space in ā€˜real timeā€™ we have open meetings each Saturday at 2021-04-03T18:00:00Z.

More info here: Saturday Forum Open Governance Circle Meets April 3 - 11am PST / 2pm EST / 1800 GMT - New Time!

6 Likes

Love your latest album @will !

3 Likes

Thank you, means a lot! :pray:

2 Likes

Hey everyone! (a quick intro for myself)

My name is Devin Gray, I am a drummer/composer from NYC, and Berlin now, working mostly in the Jazz and improvised music worlds.

Iā€™m excited to start working with Resonate with my record label Rataplan Records NYC

Always down to learn more and connect!
Sending you all the best of vibes

DG

7 Likes

Hello! My name is Kevin and I co-run Topshelf Records out of the US. Iā€™m located in Portland, OR but the rest of our staff and operations are sprawled out all over the US. Weā€™ve had a substantial portion of our catalog on resonate for a few years now, our in-house publicist William Osiecki has penned an op-ed for yā€™all previously (https://medium.com/resonatecoop/sent-from-my-ipad-6f5fba2c8d7c), and I have had some chats with @peter in the past. I have been largely absent from this community and the resonate eco-system in general for the past few years, only periodically checking in. I want to change that and I want to help to change that for other people as well. So Iā€™m excited to contribute and learn from everyone else here. If youā€™re interested in Topshelf, weā€™ve been a label for 15 years, getting started in punk and hardcore but since expanding into new sonic realms and generally trying to apply a genre agnostic approach to the music we curate and artists we work with. Our website is topshelfrecords.com. Psyched to be here!

12 Likes

Hey @topshelfrecords nice to have you here! Everyone should know that you were one of the original big indie labels to join and your faith in us has been incredibly helpful and supportive over the years. Looking forward to working together again! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Hi folks. Apologies for the necrothread - but this seemed to be the place to say ā€˜Hi!ā€™ :person_shrugging:

I spotted Resonate a while back, but didnā€™t get off my butt and upload something until now. I love the idea of a co-op, the payment model feels fair and -er- interesting and from what Iā€™ve seen so far the community looks nice and active. Will be checking out some music of course (and adding more of my own), but it looks like I have a boatload to read to get up to speed with where you guys are at and where youā€™re headed. But it feels excitingā€¦

Iā€™ll spare you a long artist bio (for now :wink:) - I just wanted to say hello. But do check out my tunes if you feel like it and let me know what you think.

Nowā€¦where to startā€¦ :grin:

.g

8 Likes

Welcome, @gribbles! :wave:t2:

Resurrecting this thread was the right thing to do! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hi Resonate crew! :wave:t2:

Iā€™m a longtime amateur musician. I play the bass, a little keyboard, and I sing! My Soundcloud only has random bullshit on it, like this clip of ā€œwhat if Bane sounded like an owl:ā€ Stream Bane Owl Vocal by Ryan Prior | Listen online for free on SoundCloud - Iā€™d love to record more music and actually get some stuff out there.

Iā€™m a software engineer. You can see lots of stuff Iā€™ve worked on here: https://github.com/ryanprior ā€”definitely interested in contributing to Resonate as Iā€™m able. Iā€™ve browsed the repos and see your threads about the APIs and services, youā€™ve got my attention.

And Iā€™m a free culture activist. A free culture is the opposite of a permission culture where everything is owned by big conglomerates and their intermediary platform interests, and you have to beg & pay rent in order to participate in your own culture. In a free culture, all creators and fans share moral & practical ownership of the culture they create and live within, and we look out for the material interests of artists in recognition that art makes life worth living and forms the shape of everything we share. I love that Resonate gives artists and small labels direct access to an audience, along with actual ownership of the platformā€“and that it doesnā€™t use DRM, NFTs, or other user-hostile technologies of artificial scarcity.

Itā€™s been wonderful to read this thread and e-meet you all, Iā€™ll be seeing you out here in these Resonate streets!

9 Likes

Hai everyone reading this!

I am FnTm (She/They) and am new here at resonate. I am really really glad I found a place like this as I didnā€™t know it was a place that existed before not too long ago. In my journey of Anti-capitalism and trying to figure out the whoā€™s, what, and why things are the way they are itā€™s led me here. I would like to explain that as a Black trans individual I knew at a young age that dreams werenā€™t meant for me. Been trying to find a community that not only aligned with my ever-growing politic but also in accepting me and treating me accordingly. Being neurodivergent, super shy, and having crippling anxiety made that even harder. Even posting/writing this is really difficult for me. But hopefully, if you are reading this I took a chance in finding people who really want to connect and celebrate each other. Trying to find people, independent labels, and whoever else i was always met with the same type of energyā€¦silence. Hope someone will hear me here ^~^

Musicallyā€¦I do what I want haha. My main influences are based in R&B and Hiphop. My first album that i released last year is available today on Resonate so thatā€™s exciting! ^~^. I hope I can release even more things on here in the future. Iā€™m also on Bandcamp as well if youā€™re into buying music on there as well!

And finally, if you ever want to DM me about anything please do. whether you want to talk about music or life. I would love to even hear everyoneā€™s music and talk about that as well! If youā€™re scared itā€™s ok, i am too. We can be scared together haha.

Okie Dokie, thank you for all your time and I hope to hear from you soon. I hope this wasnā€™t too much as well. Sorry if it was or I didnā€™t use the site/section correctly. Thank you so much again. Bai! ^~^

10 Likes