šŸ‘‹ Introduce Yourself

Thank you @gribbles, @ryanprior, and @FnTm for joining the community!

Glad to have you here, and I appreciate your introductions in the space. Looking forward to building something great together!

3 Likes

Hi everyone,

Iā€™m not a musician, only an active listener :slight_smile:

I discovered Resonate recently (thanks Bandcamp !) and Iā€™m quite enthusiast about this project.

First of all I discovered Bandcamp because I was not satisfied with the classic online music library model (Deezer, Spotifyā€¦). So being able to listen freely to discover music on Bandcamp before having the possibility of buying it (especially in a physical format when available) was great for me and my vision of ā€œcreating music has a cost and we listeners must pay for itā€™s real priceā€.

But as I listened to more and more music I was not able to buy all I wanted, so I was more and more using Bandcamp as an online music library, sometime even getting around the number of free listening limit by playing the album in a private browser tabā€¦ I then started to understand that something was wrong.

So when I discovered the ā€œstream2ownā€ concept it felt like the most natural way for me to pay for online music :

• pay little to discover, because discovering is ā€œriskyā€
  • pay more as you listen to it, because if you listen to it this means you like it
  • and finally own it at some point when you have sufficiently (meaning artists at least gets correctly payed) payed for it

The only negative point that I feel in this model is that any track costs the same price, so for 15,25ā‚¬ you could get a 15 tracks album which could as well be 30 minutes of music or 60 minutesā€¦ (correct me if Iā€™m wrong). In my previous ways of buying music, album duration relative to its price has always been a criteria. So here something feels strange to meā€¦

So now Iā€™m a new Resonate user and of course with a lot of expectations ! So Iā€™ll make a new user feedback here (feel free to tell me where I can put elsewhere so that itā€™s useful). I know that building things takes time, I can measure the great work that has already been done (and Iā€™m grateful to anyone who participated for it), so anything I say here must only be taken as encouragement ! This below would be for me the base functionalities of this kind of service :

• I would like to be able to discover random music building a playlist with search results (specific tag for example, label library, ā€¦). This is important because few artists I used to listen to are yet on Resonate. So I have to listen to new music, but I want a minimum selectivity.
  • As I discover music I need to be able to ā€œfavoriteā€ things in order to find it quickly next time : so favouriting an album (which seems not yet available) is a must have for me, especially because I like listening to albums and not a few tracks here a few tracks there once I discovered on artist work that I like.
  • Finally, since the concept is to stream music, there must be a queue feature in order to add music that I want to listen to (a sort of live playlist that you build on the go)

On the long term Iā€™d love to also be able to buy physical format of the music I like when available.

Anyway thanks to everyone !

PS : sorry for the long post and thanks for reading

9 Likes

Iā€™ve made a proposition for this here

Donā€™t hesitate to say if you like the idea, if youā€™ve got ideas yourself about how to improve, join the discussion!

2 Likes

Hello everyone :wave:

I have become aware of Resonate through an interview Kristoffer Patrick Cornils gave to a German radio channel. It was on the day that I learned that Bandcamp had been bought by Epic Games :frowning_face:. Resonate seemed like the right way to do it to me, so I became a member.

Right now, I donā€™t use the platform much, but that is because I mostly listen to music that Iā€™ve bought. Once the feature to download tracks has been added, I intend to use the site as a digital store on a regular basis.

In the middle term, Iā€™m interested in helping out with programming. Iā€™m an advanced Python user, but have very little experience with JavaScript and none with Go. Hence, I would need to acquire some skills before I can submit my first pull request.

5 Likes

@maphr What would be your preference: Purely random or guided by an algorithm?
Iā€™d be interested to know: Has there been discussion in this community about this point, namely if Resonate should use machine learning for music discovery? I donā€™t know if I have a opinion on the matter, but Iā€™d be curious to know because of the much maligned algorithms of some of the major platforms.

I was surprised that this feature was missing when exploring the site.

1 Like

Hi @Zamomin, it depends of what you call an algorithm :slight_smile:

• create a playlist by randomizing all songs that have the #electro tag is an algorithm, a very simple one
  • propose the next #electro song based on what the user likes or dislikes is another algorithm, more complex

Iā€™m not talking about ā€œAIā€ or anything here. Just simple algorithms that can produce a predefined playlist bases on search criteria (tags, year, countryā€¦) in order to answer the following need : make me discover music based on my following search criteria.

Maybe to clarify my individual need : this is a necessary feature in my opinion if I want to use easily Resonate to discover music/artists. When I really like something I tend to buy it (if I can, when I can) and then listen to it locally. I personally try to limit my streaming use.

Hello! Iā€™m Goaty!

I was introduced to Resonate by Mick Collins of the Dirtbombs (and other bands). Iā€™ve been making music for years but only in the last month have I really gone so far as to start releasing it, and Resonate feels like a great place to do so!

Right now I mostly compose midi music, but I also play guitar and a couple other instruments.

Iā€™m also not sure how to put the green circle next to my icon!

4 Likes

Hi Iā€™m John and I sing in a duo called the Keynes Brothers. Weā€™re an acoustic duo based in Melbourne Australia and weā€™re normally a bit reclusive on the web and on social media. I have eye hand co-ordination issues that make typing a chore so please be kind if you see the odd typo or post that looks like it may have been intended to be worded differently. Weā€™ve just released our first song ā€˜Old to Newā€™ on Resonate and you can check it out on the player or you can check it out here

Most of our releases to date have been on Bandcamp and while itā€™s too early to predict what will happen the sale of that site has made me realise just how important it is for co-operative communities like Resonate to thrive. Iā€™ll probably go quiet for a time while I learn how things are done here. Still very new to this.

6 Likes

Feel very welcome and donā€™t worry, quiet and odd typos are welcome here! Thank you for sharing you work.

3 Likes

Hello you lovely people!

Iā€™m Oliver from Germany.
Iā€™ve been passionate about music all my life.

There was not much TV, social media and mobile phones in my childhood.
So we spent a good portion of our free time listening to the radio and playing records.
I was lucky my father had such a great collection.

I started playing keyboard in a shopping mall when I was 8.
Why in a shopping mall?
My mother did all the shopping and I stayed in the toy area and played around with the Yamahas and Casios of that era.
Later I took lessons and became one of the greatesā€¦ no I didnā€™t.

Thatā€™s almost 35 years ago now.
When I was 12 I bought my first synthesizer (Roland JX-3P) from money that I earned by delivering newspapers.

Then I played drums, guitar, bagpipe, harmonica, ukulele and many other instruments.
I had great times in bands. REALLY great times :wink:

Today with 40+ I go back to my roots.
Synths. Synths. Synths!

Iā€™ve only recently bought new synthesizers and Iā€™m excited about the modular approach for creating inspiring (and sometimes horrible!) sounds.

So how and why did I end up here?

• I want to get away from the big corporations. They destroy the planet. Yes, its that serious.
  • Iā€™d like to share my experience with you and enjoy exchange about music in a community.
  • Iā€™d like to focus more on music and earn my rehearsal room rent at least.
  • Iā€™d like to make and share music on an independent platform like this one.

If you like to join me on this journey, feel free to get in touch :slight_smile:
Oliver

P.S. My music is still on Bandcamp, but I will move it soon!
https://elektrikinderluft.bandcamp.com

7 Likes

Welcome @Elektrik_in_der_Luft ! All great things, so thank you for joining the space! :pray:

2 Likes

Just submitted my album ā€œTaunusā€.
The process was easy and Iā€™m happy it will be available soon to everyone :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Hi all!

psi, he/him, but they is cool too. Iā€™ve been aware of resonate for a couple of years now, think back to 2018 when you all were still doing the blockchain thing (which to be honest was part of why I didnā€™t get more involved :sweat_smile: ). I was recently pointed back to it by BSA to help out (that alongside Bandcamp being bought by Epic Games :sob:), and have had some spare time the past few weeks to help with front-end dev. Looking forward to digging into the API and code a bit!

About me: Iā€™ve been a DJ at local and university music stations and am a pretty big music listener though I donā€™t make my own. Iā€™m a web dev by trade and have kind of come off a very long burn-out period from doing web dev work in my free time. Hopefully Iā€™ve learned a thing or two about pacing myself in the mean time. I like doodling and am pretty active with local organizing projects around dual power themes (mutual aid, tenant organizing, etc).

12 Likes

Hello everyone!

Iā€™m a listener, not a musician. Late last year I realized I kept streaming the same songs over and over so I decided to start buying them instead. I also started looking for ways to find new music and have been enjoying several shows on a local community radio station.

I first heard about Resonate on the day it came out that Bandcamp was sold and finally got around to setting up an account. Iā€™m enjoying it so far and look forward to finding new musicians to listen to.

Thanks for all the work, musical, technical, and otherwise! :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Hi everyone!

My nameā€™s Fuzzy. I play music under the name The Amazing Sloth Rider and Iā€™m from Geelong, near Melbourne, Australia.

Iā€™ll try and keep this brief, but I am pretty stoked to have found this place so I may be a bit overly enthusiastic.

Couple years ago I pulled all my music from Spotify and went with just Bandcamp. I had heard of the subscription model Steven Lawson uses and thought thatā€™s how you do it, you donā€™t give your work away for free, you offer it at a reasonable price so people have the option of buying it. I have just been uploading things there but questioningā€¦ everything about being an artist over the last year or two. I mean everything. The music is somewhere online but I havenā€™t been very ā€˜activeā€™ you could say. Well, Covid too of courseā€¦

Anyway I started reading a book called Freeloading by Chris Ruen. Itā€™s 10 years old now but it started resonating with a lot of issues I currently have with the music industry and how itā€™s a very bleak future we have built for ourselves because we never solved the piracy issue with ethical streaming. I think the majors leapt at any opportunity that meant they didnā€™t lose out, even if it meant $0.004 per stream with Spotify, and we as a society have never reviewed that for some dumb reason. And at $15 for unlimited streaming, and a business model that doesnā€™t make profit presently but wants to be the ā€˜go to place for audioā€™, itā€™s obvious that Spotify isnā€™t in it for the artists either. Oh and letā€™s not forget the whole data mining itā€™s users part, one of the most worrying things about our passive society, along with our short attention spans due to this expectation of endless, free content.

I realised that the issue is that consumers arenā€™t paying enough to stream, and the argument thatā€™s proposed is the threat that consumers will just ā€˜get it for freeā€™ otherwise. Thatā€™s entitled behaviour that we can change with communication, understanding, and ethical spending habits, but we need that to be an easy process. Hereā€™s what I mean.

I find music I like on Spotify then seek out that artists profile on Bandcamp to support them, through merch or by buying albums. Often times itā€™s not ideal to buy physical things which then adds shipping costs that arenā€™t going to the artist when really, I just want to support someone. If the work is on youtube, I might have to go and search for a patreon if they have one, and then sign up to that. I donā€™t always want to subscribe to that person indefinitely either, sometimes I just want to pay for that 10 minutes or hour that I listened or watched, and a thumbs up just doesnā€™t cut it as far as payment goes in my eyes.

All in all, thatā€™s a lot of effort.

I thought what about having one place where you combine Bandcamp (albums) with Spotify (playlists) and interactions with fans (Patreon). In short, the listener buys credit at $1 an hour (pre or post paid), and the artist gets 1 cent per minute streamed, with the 40 cents left over going back into running costs for the website.

I went onto Reddit 2 days ago and posted in we are the music makers, as I figured my peers would like this idea. They really didnā€™t, and the general consensus was that musicians shouldnā€™t expect to earn anything from their work and that we should be touring T-shirt merchants. I became angry the more I read, people are undervaluing themselves without realising the control is literally in their own hands if they stropped giving their music away so cheaply.

I donā€™t want that to be the present, let alone a worse version of that in the future. Itā€™s already pretty grim and I want to help to create a solution. So I decided that I have to figure out how to build a streaming service and implement all of my ideas. I donā€™t have the first damn clue how to do that so I started researching streaming, prices, programming and all kinds of things. Somehow I stumbled onto something thatā€¦ Resonatesā€¦ with me.

Iā€™m sorry, I just had to.

The idea I had was a bit different to what Resonate is, but has very similar principles. But you have no idea the relief I feel at realising that maybe I donā€™t need to learn how to build a streaming site and where Iā€™d find money for programmers if it already exists right here. Rather than rebuild the wheel, maybe I could add an axle so someone else can turn it into a vehicle of change you know?

So thatā€™s my long and rambling hello.

10 Likes

Hey, I am Aaron. I live in Germany and I am currently working on an EP (ETA: 8th September this year) of some type of doomy power ballad stuff. This is going to be my debut, and it is also going to be a bit of a showcase for what is possible with free open source software (free as in free speech, not free beer). I have been looking at resonate for quite a while, and naturally I am going to try and put my music here as well, although I know it from a very different context: I make a living by working in a worker owned cooperative for IT services (programming, dev-ops, admin, ā€¦) and I am very interested in making worker owned cooperatives a bigger thing, because I believe that it may play a huge role in making the world a little less f****d up.
Therefore, although resonate has not been working very well for me in the past from a technical point of view, I am not willing to let the idea die.

9 Likes

Hi! :wave::guitar::musical_score::notes::man_singer::drum:

Just filled out my profile, so Iā€™ll just copy here what I wrote there as a means of introduction:

Iā€™m David. Brooklyn, NY dad. Puzzler, nature enthusiast, guitar player and song writer.

I first encountered music at a young age, writing songs in my head on long car trips with my family, and learning to harmonize when singing with my parents. I later earned a degree in Music with an emphasis on vocal performance, and minor studies in piano and guitar.

Iā€™ve had a career in product management, and am now in software engineering. I first learned to code in 6th grade where we made a ā€œturtleā€ move around the screen with short commands. I practiced at home with Basic, and in elective classes in highschool, and eventually earned a degree in Computer Science. Iā€™m now actively building web3 software, right now specifically for the Steem Blockchain to encourage more content engagement.

I began getting serious learning about cooperative governance organizations after joining the second cohort of ā€œPlatform Coops NOW!ā€ via the New School in collaboration with start.coop and Mondragon University. Since that cohort wrapped in 2021, Iā€™ve been working slowly to build my own platform cooperative, a place for professionals to come and go as they please in ad hoc project groups with cooperative governance, and web3 value share to incentivize sharing and evaluating work. My next step will be to build an onboarding flow to bring interested folks together into a community so that broader vision can be attended to piece by piece.

Iā€™m so happy to have come across the Resonate community, and Iā€™m sorry I hadnā€™t discovered it earlier! I have feelings about the corporate world in general, and I know that the music industry has gone through to become what it is today. With my technical and musical background, my interest in platform cooperative and big feelings about the way work happens today, and my vision for the future, it was a no-brainer to get connected and involved with this group!

9 Likes

Hey! Thanks for making your way here! Thanks for sharing your trajectory. Please speak up if you have any questions! There are plenty of ways your interest areas match work to be done. Welcome!

1 Like

Thank you! Iā€™ve been enjoying so far. Looking forward to the future of this platform.

2 Likes

Hi Everyone!

Former lurker here
I do not think I have introduced myself, so I am going to do it now, hopefully this is not repetitive.

My name is Diane (she/they/ella/ela), I am based currently in Brooklyn, NYC- but originally from Texas, one generation removed from Warri, Delta State Nigeria- I also belong to communities based in SĆ£o Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, BR.

I love place, space, sound- im also geographer in training. I first picked up on these connections attending Bendel (former Nigerian State) Diaspora meetings in Dallas, TX. As I kid, I remember sitting next to these large speakers and hearing FELA blasting. I loved to see the dancefloor move, people make space- tables and speakers wobble and shake. Usually, if there is some bass and speakers are about to break, I am pretty happy. I have tinnitus now tho. lol

So I joined resonate to also participate in what I find to be an incredible space, as a listener, and supporter, maybe one day iā€™ll be an artist here. For now, I am committed to contributing to the culture on the forum, and will be on trying to help assist with building out stronger teams for projects, opportunities for more space to get into the nitty gritty of technology and culture, and will help facilitate the community member team meeting as well as some other reading/study groups this summer.

I look forward to connecting with everyone!

9 Likes