Minimal mobile apps for Android and iOS

Hi, I got the app update last night and was asked to take a screenshot and send it to the dev, so here it is

4 Likes

Awesome, @Sylvia, thank you for posting this!

Pleased to mention that @pabloscloud said that their scrolling issue was resolved today, handled by one of the fixes associated with v1.2.1. Also, we have a new release queued up:

Release v1.2.2

The new login associated with our migration off of Wordpress routes us through a new URL (https://id.resonate.coop) for login in the player, I’m adding that new URL to our list of allowed in-app URLs, so users can once again log in in stream-app. I’m submitting the new release to app stores, pending review people from Google/Apple, the update should be available in the next 4-48 hours to everyone (it’s available immediately for those able to install binaries on their mobile devices here).

5 Likes

Delighted to share that the “Learn” menu dropdown being non-functional for iOS is FIXED on the production server! To be clear, this fixes the menu and allows full functionality for mobile/iPad iOS users in all browsers and for iOS stream-app users.

We’ve also been pushing out a bunch of other fixes for the player (which also fix things for the mobile app) just to handle things associated with the transition off of WordPress. Special thanks to @auggod and @psi for all of their hard work on this.

6 Likes

You’re wonderful, I’ll give this a try when I can.

4 Likes

A couple of updates:

• Allowed iOS users to use the Learn dropdown on the ID server, anytime a user visits any page on https://id.resonate.coop on iOS, be it in the stream-app or their mobile browser, the “Learn” dropdown should now work as intended.
  • Made some headway on the Resonate’s new mobile app - we can now play/pause, skip, rewind through tracks on a test playlist on the new mobile app (not yet available in app stores). This is still very preliminary (UI will change a great deal) but this is really exciting. Because we won’t be bound to the web player’s functionality anymore, we’ll be able to do fancy things like push notifications on new music releases (if the user wants them) and other similar things that can probably really boost community engagement.

4 Likes

Hello everyone! We’re running into an issue with Google Play, that we need to address by October 6, 2022 to keep the Android app online. This Google Play tester was able to navigate to this page in the Android app, on what appears to be a tablet, and was able to open the Open Collective contribution page in-app. This shouldn’t be possible because I’ve intentionally excluded Resonate’s Open Collective from our allowlist, which should force all links to this domain to open in the user’s browser (and not in our app), merely to appease these Google Play payment requirements. Here’s a screenshot of where the tester was able to see this screen:

I’m unable to find a way to navigate to this screen in-app or in browser. If anyone has any luck poking around in-app and can get this screen to come up, can you please post here the steps you took and the pages went to and links you clicked on to make this appear? If this screen opens in a new window / separate browser on mobile, we’ll be good by Google’s book, from what I can tell. But, if I can’t reproduce the situation myself, it’s really tricky for me to try to figure out how to fix it. Thanks in advance for the help everyone! We have a couple of hundred active users for this app so it would be great to keep it up and running. :slight_smile:

Here’s the full report from the Google Play Store for posterity:

After a recent review, we found that your app Resonate (com.resonate.streamapp is not compliant with one or more of our Developer Program Policies. Please resolve the issue described below by October 06, 2022 or your app will be removed from Google Play.
Reasons of violation48xauto Issue with your app
Your app contains content that doesn’t comply with the Payments policy. Please see the attached screenshot for more information.

Issue details

We found an issue in the following area(s):

• In-app experience: Please see attached screenshot com.resonate.streamapp-InAppExperience-357.png
    Reasons of violation48xauto About the Payments policy
    Apps that employ in-store or in-app purchases must comply with the Payments policy guidelines. Specifically, Google Play’s billing system must not be used in cases where payments include tax exempt donations.

Eligible developers have the following options to offer an alternative billing system in select countries for non-gaming apps:

• Offer an alternative billing system alongside Google Play’s billing system as part of our user choice billing pilot. Please visit our FAQ for more details.
  • Offer an alternative billing without user choice to their users in the European Economic Area (EEA). Please visit our FAQ for more details.
    Publishing Status48xauto Status: Further action required
    Your app may be removed from Google Play if you do not resolve this issue by October 06, 2022.
    Action required: Resolve this issue by October 06, 2022
    To help make sure that your app stays available on Google Play:
  1. Read through the Payments policy for more details.

1. If the donations are for an eligible tax-exempt organization, please provide verifiable documentation that indicates the organization’s tax-exempt status (e.g., Internal Revenue Service determination letter for entities in the United States) through the Advance Notice Form.
  • If the organization is not a tax-exempt organization, you must remove the donation functionality from your app or use Google Play’s in-app billing system when collecting donations.
1 Like

I couldn’t find any possible way to access that screen. However the screencap is v7.0.2 and I’m at 7.1.7 and I notice that my “donate” button just doesn’t link to anything anywhere which is where I would expect to have a link to opencollective? However since that doesn’t work (it does get me out of the app though just it points me to an error 404 page) I can’t find any other way to stay in app and have access to open collective.

1 Like

Thanks so much for testing @LLK!

And yeah, I noticed that about the Donate link too. The fix has been merged, but updating the player on live involves manually copy pasting a local build over on the server (very tricky, would break things, tentatively impossible even?), we don’t have a CI built to automate that process like we do for the newer/actively developed repos.

Google has said they’ve “accepted” my recent build in a review where I was slightly more strict with the allowlist, but it’s not yet obvious if that means we’re in the clear or they’re just allowing the new build to be online until October 6. I’ll be following up with them to get details.

Update from Google:

Please note: In some instances, the warning may continue to be displayed after the review has been completed. If you successfully resolved the issue or submitted your Data safety section on Play Console, no further action is required and you DO NOT need to contact us about this warning.

So we should be once again good to go!

3 Likes

Small update here: Google circled back and said we aren’t even allowed to link to a donation page that doesn’t conform to their payment expectations unless we’re a non-profit. I petitioned and pursued routes to escalate to no avail. So our Android app is currently offline. If you’re on Android, you’ll need to grab the latest release and manually install.

That being said, this isn’t the biggest deal in the mid to long term. The mobile repository is under active development and will allow us to easily navigate situations like these. And I’d like to give a special shout out and kudos to newcomer @dominictwlee who has helped out on mobile this week!

2 Likes

Minor update: @dominictwlee has added preliminary home screen UI to mobile.

Here’s a short and sweet video demonstration (again, all this UI/UX stuff is in its early stages, goal is to get functionality and features in place first and improve the look and feel later):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kZ7R8kUdIL7KmTrXELHMiBh8OktorVLO/view?usp=share_link

3 Likes