Onboarding openworkspace

I’ve been doing brainstorming and reflecting on how we should approach onboarding and membership at Resonate for the relaunch.

I like working publicly so here’s a link to my workspace.

1 Like

I like the idea of “kits” (maybe based on badges - both earned and selected), and I love the idea of badges. The badges could allow the same account/profile to identify themselves as different things, while maintaining a singular identity. There’s this newer professional social media platform called Polywork that uses badges that users can create themselves to collaborate with one another and identify all the different skills they have. Maybe there can be some inspiration here from how Resonate can approach badges, but with more of a creative and membership-focused type of approach?

Interesting! Polywork looks more or less identical to the Community Credentials concept, except their platform is presumably centralised - unless somewhere under the hood they are doing something more privacy-respecting. They look as if they have money though!

1 Like

Yea, I mean Community Credentials is waaayyy more advanced, technical, and privacy respecting than what they’re doing.

They are HEAVILY funded (like 15M+) by major VCs who have founded and/or funded companies like Paypal, Twitch, & YouTube, but they don’t even really have a business model yet! Besides potentially selling user info to recruiters, taking a percentage of freelance deals made on their platform, or something they’ll try to figure out.

I just thought I would share it because the badge use is uniquely interesting, and I think Resonate could do something similar with more of a creative angle to it. Like helping musicians collab with other artists based on badge types, fans showcasing badges for their most liked genres/artists, or eventually even helping musicians find cover artists, videographers, etc. to work with and easily exchange payment/Resonate credits with.

1 Like

Yes, the badge thing, and the portability and authenticity of those badges is what Community Credentials is all about. It’s not new either - we are building on basic features in Discourse (the co-op already has a certified paid up member badge, but doesn’t allocate it at the moment). The differences are that a) you hold your info and we minimise what we ask for b) the badges are portable to other communities and provable and c) we’re building on a federation of co-ops as an anchor of trust, not simply creating another aggregator and harvester of data. Exciting news on c) coming up. We won another EU grant in partnership with an couple of other well-known co-ops!

1 Like

Wow, all of that sounds awesome! Especially winning the EU grant, congrats! For my main interests with badges, I just like the personal identity and community that badges help build. I think it’s a cool way to showcase your skills, while also being able to connect with others who either have similar or complementary badges.

The ability for community credentials to work across co-ops though is really neat, like an entirely new way of living type of neat lol, so I will be really interested to see how everything comes together. Great work!

1 Like