🎙 Resonator – the Resonate monthly show

Hi everyone!

I would like to share an idea with the community for 2021: “Resonator”, a Resonate monthly show, inspired by Bandcamp Weekly which I love so much.

What I have in mind is a small radio show / podcast with a selection of curated recently uploaded tracks introduced and contextualized by the host, in the spirit of Staff Picks and @Hakanto’s New on Resonate posts, and coop members, artists and labels short presentations and interviews. I think it would be a very cool way to consolidate our community and to discover new artists and tracks for listeners.

The main problem is to find someone here inside the community who is a native english speaker with good interviewer skills and who would be available and motivated to craft a new episode each month.

Does this sound like a good idea to you? Maybe it’s not realistic at the moment, but I would love to know your thoughts about it :slightly_smiling_face:

11 Likes

This sounds like a great idea! A radio show / podcast would give a great opportunity to host live performances from artists as well. Perhaps the show (or some other blog posts) can highlight some of the nuances of the current music streaming landscape too. I know that kind of discussion is pretty commonplace on the community forums, but I think a lot of people outside the coop might be interested in hearing about how everything works. I can’t contribute on a consistent basis at the moment, but I’d be happy to help with some small tasks to help get the ball rolling.

3 Likes

I really like the idea. Will ask around in case anyone I know could feel like, and making them join the platform in the same effort :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Yes, yes! I’d like to host a show of music I’m most familiar with, like singer songwriter and indie folk.
Let’s revisit in January 2021…love the thought of 2020 in the rearview mirror:) Resonate wants storytelling and ways to foster real connection with listeners.

4 Likes

Ha! Navigating this forum is so challenging in its present form… I just now saw this topic. Thank you for posting @Timothee!

Yes. Absolutely.

I’ve been pitching the potential significance of this kind of program since I came to the Co-op in July 2019. I imagine a collection of independently managed ‘Resonator’ programs like satellites orbiting the catalog. Each could feature the interests of a different podcaster or team. In my vision it would be beneficial to launch with multiple programs, probably a minimum of three, in order to demonstrate the diversity in tastes and breadth of communities Resonate serves. Someday there could be dozens of ‘Resonator’ satellite programs orbiting the platform connecting people to music, news from the co-op and co-operative life in general.

We could have a simple licensing arrangement that permitted music from the catalog to be presented in the programs, with links for further streaming of course.

Such programs might ultimately play a leading role in introducing listeners to music and artists on the platform as well as providing opportunities for ‘Resonator’ producers to bring new artists and music on board.

For what it is worth, a couple of years ago I helped organize a successful subscription-based news/comment program (YouTube/Patreon). I have long thought that Resonate could host music-centered programming, perhaps supported by recurring donations through OpenCollective. If successful such a channel of programs might represent a self-sustaining marketing/recruitment/news/discovery department contributing surpluses back to help fund the core platform.

Thanks for posting this thread and thank you to everyone who has indicated their interest below. I’ll be looking forward to contributing to this effort.

As a matter of fact, I have conducted two interviews with artists on the platform and will be working to make these available in the next couple of weeks, perhaps as a pilot or test of this initiative.

5 Likes