Setting a time for a conversational Assembly

I don’t believe two GMS before the end of the year is feasible. An alternative would be to have an assembly to discuss various matters leading up to the AGM.

Each GM requires an announcement going out two weeks in advance, and voting generally stays open for a week after. If we were to try to have two non-overlapping GMs before the end of this year, the latest schedule would be like this (and would barge into peak holiday time)

Nov 26 - GM 1 announcement
Dec 10 - GM 1
Dec 10-17 - GM 1 voting in forum
Dec 17 - GM 2 announcement
Dec 31 - GM 2
Dec 31- Jan 7 - GM 2 voting in forum

The outcome of the GM1’s votes would be published the same time GM2 announcement is supposed to go out, with no time for follow-up resolutions to be organized.

I say we have a lead-up assembly and spread the news well for it, and use it as a time to refine resolutions for a sole AGM.

6 Likes

Looks like we’ve got some clear favorites for this

Between Friday and Saturday morning I’d pick Saturday morning. Realistically I feel like a 10am or 11:00 am seems most inclusive? Does that sound good to folks?

2 Likes

10:00 am CST (11am EST) on Saturday (12/3) works for me!

3 Likes

The 3rd is pretty bad for me caus I’ll be traveling visiting a friend. I can do it if nothing else works but it will be a major bummer to put my friend on hold.

I’d prefer the window in the afternoon on Mon Nov 28th that appears to work for a lot of people. I’ll see what thoughts other have on this

2 Likes

Friday is always better for me, but since I can’t be sure of my planning for the entire week, I’ll just try to go with what’s better for everyone.

1 Like

Just wanted to let everyone know that I (and others from the 400M side) would like to be a part of this call, but my own schedule is already packed and does not open (for a moment) until that Saturday (December 3rd) in the afternoon (not morning; the later the better). I am also over capacity and working with a large amount of people at once between many organizations right now, and want folks to be aware of this in case I struggle to show up on whatever date is chosen.

Also wanted to give folks a heads up that I’m going to be publishing some rather lengthy/expansive reflections and suggestions based upon discussions (both public and private) had by folks in the co-op the other week (hopefully by the end of today).

I would, ideally, love for people to actually have an opportunity to spend time with (and try to internalize) what I’m putting forward before we go into both this conversational assembly and the AGM. A part of what I’ll be presenting is an invitation for folks to partake in a social (trust-building) exercise, and so I also think it could open up conversations that can be organically incorporated into the agenda of this conversational assembly (no pressure on this, though; just suggestions, and folks can obviously do a temperature check on it).

5 Likes

@brndnkng @Hakanto @piper @psi @LLK @ode12

I’m also seeing 6/7 of us saying yes to 2022-11-29T00:30:00Z
I’m of a mind that two conversations are better than one.

By claiming convo time Monday and Friday (when LLK prefers) perhaps we set a space that all that have indicated their interest might participate? If these are the times identified, I will look forward to contributing to both sessions.

Others would of course be welcome too…

I can say, for sure, that I will be in a recording for a new episode of this show I’m on at the date and time listed here (November 28th, 8 PM, EST). And I am unable to move anything around, unfortunately.

Obviously not trying to dissuade folks from meeting at this date and time; just want folks to be aware! :pray:t4:

2 Likes

FWIW, I have corrected the time above to 5pm EST. The post was initially three hours later than the time indicated by the poll. I’ll be looking forward to joining any cooperators available at that time for conversation.

1 Like

One of these times is tonight at 2022-11-28T22:00:00Z or 2022-11-29T00:30:00Z. I think it should be at 7.30 ET so that @remst8 can at least attend one of the sessions. Can someone throw up a call link? @Hakanto maybe?

And then the other time is Friday in the AM. 2022-12-02T15:00:00Z Can someone set up a call in link for this too?

5 Likes

Is this suitable?

https://meet.jit.si/resonateopenwork

2 Likes

I’ve added Jitsi Meet to the top topic. That’s a good suggestion @richjensen (that feels more inviting than the old link that’s been used for other meetings in the past, it was “resonateworkers”).

1 Like

I’d like to keep the principle of Progressive Stack handy in case there is some scarcity of time and space for speakers at any of these prep sessions.

Can I check that the second assembly is taking place on Friday? It’s 11pm for me, but I’d still like to join.

1 Like

I won’t be able to make it, had something come up

1 Like

Dang @psi. Been missing you in recent weeks. Was looking forward to connecting with you and folx today. Hope your day ends easy.

It looks like there wasn’t a designated owner for this activity.

I got to this space late but have updated the calendar based on what had been shared in other channels.

Even small modest spaces for collective conversation seem valuable to me as we approach AGM so I will be present and constructive in this space for the next 80 minutes.

Anyone welcome to come through.

Hi Rich, something came up and it looks like I won’t be able to attend.

1 Like

i’m on a layover, once i clear customs i’ll pop in!

1 Like

Notes from Monday (Nov 28):

Attending: @Hakanto @remst8 @richjensen

Rich: checking in : the value of face to face

remst8: handling uploads for old database accounts, new accounts told to wait until the other side of technology shift

30 min - persynal check in

rem: busy home remodel

hak: enjoying work with @boopboop team / scrum master

Rich relates a work story. 3 days a week… six hour commute… working for artist comrade

Rich asks @remst8 about helping on the 29th… (AGM event).

Cut off for announcement of agenda and resolutions put to vote two weeks in advance, ie the 14th.

Hak: There are materials that should be ready two weeks in advance: financial reports, membership reports.

All present agree there are tensions and misunderstandings in the coop and look forward to these conversations as a way to work through these tensions.

Rich points out the value of approaching conflict through the Seven Attitudes framework shared by @ode12 in the Dismantling White Culture thread.

Sorry I botched this and got the hour wrong in my post. Please speak up if this caused you to miss the call.

As it was @Thom @Hakanto and I were present for 90 minutes. @replygirl left about :30 early and @tshiunghan came in for about the last :40.

A number of conversations I’ve witnessed as we approach this year’s AGM have addressed comparisons between two qualities that might fall under the signs of interpersynal relations and “policies/procedures”.

These might in some rough way map to things ‘felt’ and things ‘written’. Or maybe terms like ‘informal’ and ‘formal’.

It is important to stress that in using these terms people take pains to mention how they are intertwined. People also point out that these two modes do not identify everything that is essential to the concern of the co-op. These modes concern ‘How’ work is done, not necessarily "What’ the work is*.

Today’s conversation was similar to others I’ve participated in recently. Much of the content concerned expressions of pain and loss. These expressions seemed offered in good faith to promote understanding and to set a foundation for structures (policy/procedure/process) to be set in place to reduce the experience of future harms and to provide accountability. This has been emphasized by @Hakanto. Trust cannot be protected, nor can it be replenished when lost, except through accountability. Under this view, the collective agreement upon procedures for accountability are essential to securing collective trust.

@richjensen and @Hakanto spoke with emotional candor and sensitivity about their divergent readings of experience in the coop, the relative present conditions of its formal and informal structures, and how these relate to preparations for its members to engage their governance at the AGM Dec 29.

@Thom observed that ‘online therapy rarely works’ and that the environment was better suited to engagement of the head and hand rather than the heart. Also, “I think we are talking about dishes. There are a lot of dishes in the sink and more on the way.”

• (‘How’ and ‘What’ are two more terms that seem to describe distinct categories but are also intertwined. Nature and language seem to do this a lot. It’s confusing.)

Apologies for the incomplete and impressionistic nature of these notes. Others, of course welcome to add their experiences as well.

2 Likes