Some proposals to improve product development at Resonate

Hello everyone,

A quick intro for those who don’t know me. Hi! I’m Jeremy. I’ve been in the tech industry for almost 20 years as a developer, company founder, and now consultant. Originally I’m from Seattle, but have been in Berlin for the past 3 years. I’m also a huge music nerd and have been deep in the electronic music community since 1998.

Melissa brought me into the Resonate circle about 8 months ago. For the past couple of those, I’ve been working to understand and improve how Resonate does product development and how we can get to a fully functioning DSP.

Over the past few weeks, I’ve put together a handful of recommendations that I think could help Resonate be more focused, effective, and better at activating volunteers to help build the product. These recommendations are laid out in the document below in the form of proposals that the coop can consider and adopt as it sees fit. The document is public and it accepts comments so feedback is very welcome!

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1QiZ84AtGc3qc-Z9JVwBPdIRxwvh3myTVnzvhugMJcXk/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks for reading :slight_smile:

Jeremy

9 Likes

I think these are really great!

I do have some thoughts about the refactor, but it’s probably worth discussing them in a call (which I think is the plan for next Wednesday).

My main concern is that I’m not sure the “migration off of wordpress mysql” will be that simple. I’ve been poking around the tracks-api, dashboard/api, and user-api and it looks like there’s still a lot of dependence on the mysql tables (specifically the wordpress user and user_meta tables) in there. I also have concerns about maintaining two API platforms (id & user-api) in a language that no one currently on the dev team is super comfortable with.

Outside of that, I think switching the data to the postgres should be fairly easy.

4 Likes

Cross-pollinating this post here, as it discusses this proposal heavily (along with underscoring its importance as a means of unblocking the mobile and desktop apps):

3 Likes

I agree with so many of the proposals, but one which stands out to me is renaming our development efforts as “product” efforts. While coding is essential, development should be viewed here as not limited to code – and the term product brings valuable focus as well. The co-op will benefit much from bringing more folks and skillsets together as a Product Team; excited for that.

3 Likes

thanks for pulling this together and sharing @Jeremy !

for further context, these recommendations have been requested by the @directors and i and this document is something that we’ve needed for a long time. i believe tackling these questions as a community would bode well for us as develop our a roadmap towards a fully functioning DSP.

i completely encourage others to join the conversation because these discussions are crucial in us determining the direction of our platform and cooperative.

brandon king
executive, resonate co-op

4 Likes