Taking a Step Back

Hey all!

I’ve decided to take a massive step back from Resonate. I’ve added the community forum on my block list and will try to swing through as little as possible. I’ll keep an eye on the GitHub repositories and most people here have my personal info and know how to get a hold of me.

As I’ve said a couple of times to people I’ve been working with, I was only really ever hoping to contribute a little bit of code here and there. However, when I got here I found out that so many of the problems that Resonate faces are structural rather than technical. Even when there are obvious technical solutions, there are often no decision making structures that make it possible for people interested in helping out to know what to do next. Alongside many others I’ve spent countless hours putting energy in trying to fix those issues but over the past few months it’s become clear to me that there are institutional problems and forces at play here that prevent an organization or structure that actually empowers volunteers to work together. I’m also not convinced there is full commitment to a cooperative model. Being involved at Resonate is a constant journey of discovery of past mistakes and running into walls.

As for the future of this organization: I hope for its own sake that it dissolves. I think institutions lasting longer than needed is a major issue and a lesson I keep on re-learning. If we’re mainly just around to pursue grants to stick around, I think we’ve taken the wrong turn. There is a mostly fully functional player (some notes have been made on fixes) ready to be released at any point. Any group interested in trying to launch a streaming service should take a look at it and use it. I’d be happy to walk anyone through that. Similarly, I’ve taken a lot of notes on how the current infrastructure is put together and put them in the private worker category. If you all find a new set of maintainers, I’m happy to walk them through things.

I’ve met some great people while here and I look forward to working with them in the future. If you see me online here please tell me to bugger off though.

14 Likes

:100:

Thank you for your leadership and contributions here @psi. We’ve had strong disagreements but I have always respected the time and care you shared here and have deeply felt your critique. FWIW, “Elephant in the Room” is my favorite post of all time.

There is a mostly fully functional player (some notes have been made on fixes) ready to be released at any point. Any group interested in trying to launch a streaming service should take a look at it and use it. I’d be happy to walk anyone through that. Similarly, I’ve taken a lot of notes on how the current infrastructure is put together and put them in the private worker category. If you all find a new set of maintainers, I’m happy to walk them through things.

If there is a future here it will be because of energy, expertise and design preferences you contributed. For that, and for so much more I don’t have the capacity to express here now, I am profoundly grateful. Looking forward to future opportunities to cooperate.

Thank you.

Sorry to hear that, I appreciate your efforts. It’s really unfortunate that this is happening because I just started to get invested in this music platform that has so much potential for great opportunities, but it appears that it isn’t unless otherwise occurs. Obviously, I won’t bail out on participating this community until everyone else does, so for now I will take whatever chances I have for Resonate, and maybe miraculously some radical change will occur on this platform. I wish everyone here, the best.

6 Likes

Resonate should have dissolved 4 years ago when it had the chance. I have no idea why it didn’t happen. In fact, I have never really participated much in discussions going beyond the tech spectrum so my insights can only be limited.

As an on and off volunteer and paid contractor since 2017 my conclusion is that mixing paid and voluntary work is a bad idea.

I have pushed for using opencollective as platform for paying contributions but it didn’t happen. Now, we have almost 4k available in funds. At some point, we will need to spend it on something. It’s not a godfundme page.

In terms of development, I think we’re heading in the right direction and I thank you for that. I don’t agree with everything you have said should be done but that’s ok.

I also hope that people will be able to pickup where we left off and build something different/better.

2 Likes