Translating Resonate website

Maybe the question was already been addressed somewhere else, but what if we collectively translate Resonate website in Spanish :es:, French :fr:, Italian :it: and German :de: ?

I think it could help spreading Resonate mission around the world, and increase the feeling of being part of both a global and a local community for the artists and members. The Fairbnb coop website is a good exemple.

Furthermore, we have members who are native speakers is all those languages, so we have all the ressources to achieve it. And it can be done progressively, page by page, like a background task.

I roughly guess than the most important pages to translate are:

1. Homepage
  2. About
  3. Stream2own
  4. Manifesto
  5. The coop
  6. Resonate profit calculator
  7. Join

The questions are:

• how difficult would it be to adapt the Wordpress architecture of the website to do so?
  • is there any open-source way to do it using Github, so anyone can contribute?
  • who could translate in which language? I’m in for French :wink:

What do you think?

2 Likes

We should definitely open source the gohugo website we planned to launch last year… It would be very easy to setup translation for this project.
See: https://gohugo.io/
I am reluctant to do any more work on our wordpress architecture. The redesigned wordpress theme we launched around march is all temporary.

4 Likes

Hi guys! I can help with Spanish if it’s still needed.

2 Likes

Loomio.org uses a tool called Transifex for community translation work of its platform. https://help.loomio.org/en/dev_manual/translation/ According to Loomio, Transifex is free for open source platforms. For brainstorming and reference, here’s Loomio’s translation forum https://www.loomio.org/community-translation/

I can help with translation into Esperanto. Certified at level C1 :sparkles:

1 Like

I find the idea good, I can help with french as well.

2 Likes

Any news about the Hugo website @auggod ?
Is the any way for volunteers to help with translation right now?

2 Likes

Hola! Me llamo Josie y soy la hija de Rich. Oí que hay personas que quieran construir un equipo para respaldar a las hablantes de español en el co-op. Soy una hablante de inglés pero estoy estudiando español y me gustaría ayudar con esto.

Hi! My name is Josie and I’m Rich’s daughter. I heard that there are people that want to build a team to support Spanish speakers in the co-op. I am an English speaker but I am studying Spanish and I would love to help with this.

3 Likes

@kritzkom @TheAstorian @Timothee @auggod @Hakanto, myself, and anyone who wants to join, could this be the first Resonate Internationalization & Localization team?

1 Like

There seem to be enough french people already on the team, but if there’s some work and way to get involved, I can definitely help.

1 Like

@Timothee I think the i18n repo on github was a good start!

Talking about this: https://github.com/resonatecoop/i18n

Anyway, I just made the new resonate website repo public on github:

@Nick should be working on the content.

It’s a hugo website and it does not have translations support enabled yet.
Documentation for the multilingual support is here: https://gohugo.io/content-management/multilingual/

There is a live demo available. For all details including designs and access to the webserver, you would need to be invited to our basecamp if you’re not there already.

1 Like

I added a new issue on the website github repo: https://github.com/resonatecoop/website/issues/2

I pushed a new branch and enabled multilingual mode.

@auggod @Timothee Where will the translation work be done by the translation teams? Will this translation work be done on github, or will we use another tool like Transifex? Are there limitations on which translation tools are compatible with the website design?

I admit that I am not familiar with github, so I don’t understand much about how it works. I will be researching it soon so that I can be more helpful here!

1 Like

Hi folks!

Thanks @auggod for the new multilingual branch. I just create a new Google Sheet so everyone can contribute to the website content translation, even without any Github skills. I think this is a good way to open it to contribution, and we will push the translated content to Github in a second time. Is this workflow suitable for everyone?

Here is the spreadsheet link (anyone with the link can edit it so be carefull): Resonate i18n

1 Like

@Timothee This is great! I think we should talk about this during the next meeting on wednesday.

2 Likes

Ok, so here are the translation teams:

If your not sure about some translations or if you’re hesitating between two words or expressions, please use the comments directly in the spreadsheet, and let us know when you think you’re done so we can push it to Github.

@Hakanto I don’t think we need Esperanto translation right now, but feel free to help on any other language :wink:

@auggod Some pages like Editorial on the Github repo are empty, is it normal?

Thanks everyone for your help :pray:

5 Likes

I’ll gladly help with the french translation as well if I can make some time. Hope we’ll manage to get more languages on board as well.

3 Likes

Great work, @Timothee! @Iamupinthecloud thanks for offering to help too!

Also, @onapoli reached out to Transifex to see if we can get an account with them. They offer free accounts to open source projects (which we are); we are waiting to hear back from them. Transifex is a really robust translation tool, so in the future when this becomes a big task and we have a variety of languages to manage we could work even more efficiently.

2 Likes

@Timothee this is great work, thanks! The English text / new website design in our Figma is a great start… please note there are still some comments need to be resolved, and further text added. Also we need to work out priorities for more editorial content to be added - we have an 'inventory spreadsheet of all the existing pages on our wordpress site and we will publish that here soon.

Thank you to everyone that’s working on this. I’ll start contributing to the Spanish translation this week. Unfortunately, we cannot benefit from the Open Source Program of Transifex, but I think that we can handle this task well enough without it.

@TheAstorian, as we would be two people working on Spanish I think we could divide the work in half and then review each others work when we are done. I’ll start working on the home page for now. Please tell me what you think.

I see the french translation has already started, but if someone would like to discuss something about this contribution we could organize a meeting with jitsi maybe. For example, I was looking at the home page translation and encountered a dilemma for the Spanish translation of the first phrase Play Fair. I’m not a translator, so for me this will be hard :sweat_smile:

This is the document where the translations are stored: Resonate i18n

3 Likes

While translating, I found what I think could be spelling mistakes in the English text. I marked them in red, without changing nothing, just in case that’s the copy that will be or is currently used.

Found them in the coop and growth-campaign sheets at the moment.

1 Like