Moving Resonate Coop to FunkWhale platform?

It seems that development on Resonate is in hibernation mode. I think Resonate had some great ideas about co-operative artist ownership of music and consumer participation in the platform, but candidly there wasn’t enough investment in the technology.

There is an open-source collective called https://www.funkwhale.audio/ that is based on federated open-source concepts for music distribution. It’s a maturing platform that is much farther ahead in development than Resonate.

Theoretically all of the good co-operative ideas and goodwill that were intended for this platform could be carried over to FunkWhale.audio, and the idea of co-operative music ownership/platform could survive on a Funkwhale instance specifically customized for co-operation.

I just wanted to throw the idea out there because it seems like a good fit.

1 Like

I’m still maintaining the platform so it does not go down. While the situation is uncertain for the coop, it’s no reason to give it all up. Hibernation is not a bad thing. Resonate is also partially open source and anyone is free to create something different using the code…

I have been doing some work in the background to fix ongoing problems with the player. I haven’t seen much interest lately but I would assist anyone who is willing to contribute.

Funkwhale is a cool project for sure.

In the meantime, I suggest you check out Mirlo.

hi! i just heard about resonate after ranting on the internet about how badly a music streaming cooperative is needed. i agree that hibernation is not always a bad thing! anyhow, my name is Mae and I am a software developer and musician and i just got laid off so i currently have a lot of time on my hands and want to keep my programming skills ♯. so basically if you need help or want to get this thing fired back up with new blood - i’m your girl :wink: