Project management & design software

Kaleidos is another worker owned tech co-op. They have software for project management & design: it would be cool to see if these might be useful for Resonate!

Project management

The taiga.io platform is used for tracking bugs, features, deliverables. I’ve used it for years myself, it’s solid and has been consistently improved over time. The SaaS has a generous free tier, it’s open source and easy to self-host as well.

UI design software

Penpot is an app for UI design. I haven’t used it yet myself but my understanding is it’s broadly comparable to Figma. It’s in beta, so there’s no paid plans yet.

5 Likes

Great suggestions. We don’t have a formal “dev team” yet, so whatever we use it needs to facilitate volunteer coordination.

I looked into Taiga and it looks great – really appreciate their pitch that the software itself helps you do Kanban or Scrum without having to learn a lot about those frameworks. Unfortunately, Taiga’s Github integration seems limited to one-way communication.

Right now, tasks are represented by Github Issues. There isn’t a project management framework or tool beyond that. I feel it would be very helpful to have one, not only for dev coordination, but for giving members here more perspective on what the co-op’s current priorities are. @auggod and I have been chatting a bit lately about this too.

@jackhajb had suggested Zenhub, which plugs into Github, is free for open source projects, allows you to create projects/kanban across repos, and has some very nice roadmapping tools.

In regards to design, we have some stuff on Figma but it isn’t in common use. Moving to a tool like Penpot seems feasible to me.

@ryanprior Any thoughts on all this? Appreciate your perspective, especially since you have experience with Taiga.

I use as many open source tools as I can; my only hesitation in encouraging them for Resonate is if they may discourage volunteers experienced in industry standard tools from getting involved. Since we’re dependent on those volunteer efforts, making it easy for folks to jump in and out of projects and tasks without having to learn new tools seems important, but I could be overestimating inconvenience or underestimating who would be attracted by a firm commitment to open source tools.

3 Likes