Setting a time for a conversational Assembly

i’m on a layover, once i clear customs i’ll pop in!

1 Like

Notes from Monday (Nov 28):

Attending: @Hakanto @remst8 @richjensen

Rich: checking in : the value of face to face

remst8: handling uploads for old database accounts, new accounts told to wait until the other side of technology shift

30 min - persynal check in

rem: busy home remodel

hak: enjoying work with @boopboop team / scrum master

Rich relates a work story. 3 days a week… six hour commute… working for artist comrade

Rich asks @remst8 about helping on the 29th… (AGM event).

Cut off for announcement of agenda and resolutions put to vote two weeks in advance, ie the 14th.

Hak: There are materials that should be ready two weeks in advance: financial reports, membership reports.

All present agree there are tensions and misunderstandings in the coop and look forward to these conversations as a way to work through these tensions.

Rich points out the value of approaching conflict through the Seven Attitudes framework shared by @ode12 in the Dismantling White Culture thread.

Sorry I botched this and got the hour wrong in my post. Please speak up if this caused you to miss the call.

As it was @Thom @Hakanto and I were present for 90 minutes. @replygirl left about :30 early and @tshiunghan came in for about the last :40.

A number of conversations I’ve witnessed as we approach this year’s AGM have addressed comparisons between two qualities that might fall under the signs of interpersynal relations and “policies/procedures”.

These might in some rough way map to things ‘felt’ and things ‘written’. Or maybe terms like ‘informal’ and ‘formal’.

It is important to stress that in using these terms people take pains to mention how they are intertwined. People also point out that these two modes do not identify everything that is essential to the concern of the co-op. These modes concern ‘How’ work is done, not necessarily "What’ the work is*.

Today’s conversation was similar to others I’ve participated in recently. Much of the content concerned expressions of pain and loss. These expressions seemed offered in good faith to promote understanding and to set a foundation for structures (policy/procedure/process) to be set in place to reduce the experience of future harms and to provide accountability. This has been emphasized by @Hakanto. Trust cannot be protected, nor can it be replenished when lost, except through accountability. Under this view, the collective agreement upon procedures for accountability are essential to securing collective trust.

@richjensen and @Hakanto spoke with emotional candor and sensitivity about their divergent readings of experience in the coop, the relative present conditions of its formal and informal structures, and how these relate to preparations for its members to engage their governance at the AGM Dec 29.

@Thom observed that ‘online therapy rarely works’ and that the environment was better suited to engagement of the head and hand rather than the heart. Also, “I think we are talking about dishes. There are a lot of dishes in the sink and more on the way.”

• (‘How’ and ‘What’ are two more terms that seem to describe distinct categories but are also intertwined. Nature and language seem to do this a lot. It’s confusing.)

Apologies for the incomplete and impressionistic nature of these notes. Others, of course welcome to add their experiences as well.

2 Likes